Data Science Manager
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Block is built by an incredible team that is on a mission to make commerce easy for all types of businesses. As a DS lead for Square Appointments and Square Conversations, you will have an opportunity to drive impact for the millions of small businesses utilizing our platform to start, run and grow their business. Square Appointments helps businesses in the services industry succeed by building everything they need to run their business: scheduling and online booking, a point of sale that tracks customer details, and a secure, fast payments system. The Conversations team builds Square Messages, a messaging platform for merchants to manage conversations with their customers, Messages is also home to Square Assistant -- a virtual assistant to help merchants serve their customers 24/7.
In this role, you will lead a team that leverages a unique set of skills, including, data engineering, analytics, data science, and machine learning to help us grow our products and kick off green field initiatives.
- Lead a team, hiring new data scientists, setting goals, collaborating, and working with our partners.
- Have an impact on business and product strategy by leading the DS discipline across three scaling products.
- Provide mentorship to team members through feedback, coaching, and hands-on technical guidance.
- Create data products that bring intelligence into our products.
- Approach problems from first principles, using a variety of statistical and mathematical modeling techniques to research and understand customer behavior.
- Build, forecast, and report on metrics that drive strategy and facilitate decision making for key business initiatives.
- 2+ years of experience in people management with experience building teams and growing talent
- 7+ years of data science experience or equivalent
- Experience applying statistical and machine-learning techniques to building data products, solving practical product problems such as predicting churn, LTV, cross-selling, and clustering user archetypes.
- Experience working on product initiatives focused on growth, new markets and/or marketplaces
- B.S+ in a quantitative field (mathematics, statistics, or similar STEM field). M.S preferable.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources