Nextdoor is where you connect to the neighborhoods that matter to you so you can belong. Our purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Neighbors around the world turn to Nextdoor daily to receive trusted information, give and get help, get things done, and build real-world connections with those nearby — neighbors, businesses, and public services. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 275,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries.
Meet Your Future Neighbors
As a data scientist at Nextdoor, you’ll be responsible for design and oversight of product experiments, own complex analysis to drive company and product strategy, and deploy online and offline models to a production environment. We use a semi-embedded team structure, in which a group of data team members works on a specific product or pillar, interfacing directly with product and engineering stakeholders. The Data Science group is made up of people from a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives, trained in fields as wide-ranging as psychology, geology, physics, and statistics. We are the mathematical decision scientists for their product development organization and play an active and collaborative role in building and improving the product.
The Impact You’ll Make
At Nextdoor, Data Scientists have the opportunity to work across a wide range of problem areas, including member and small business onboarding, growth, feed ranking, community vitality, monetization, and experimentation. This role focuses on causal inference analysis, metric design, and exploratory investigation. The work is essential to the growth and success of the company and involves frequent opportunities to deploy code as well as showcase progress to teammates, stakeholders, and company leadership.
What You’ll Bring To The Team
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field and 3+ years working in data science, product analytics, or machine learning, or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge of Python or R, including common scientific computing packages and data science tools such as numpy, pandas, and scikit-learn
- Expertise with methods, tools, and packages for statistical modeling and machine learning
- Experience formulating, running, and sharing complex analyses, including different types of experiments, causal inference studies, and other exploratory analysis work
- Experience architecting, debugging, and executing complex SQL queries
- Intermediate knowledge of at least one big data technology such as Hive, Presto, or Spark
- Excellent written and oral communication, including ability to effectively communicate complexity to a diverse group of stakeholders
- Curiosity about how things work, from both a business and technical perspective
- A collaborative spirit and a commitment to community
It’s ok if you don’t have all of these requirements; if you think you’d be a good fit for the role, please get in touch with us
- Work experience related to social or community-based products
- Work experience related to small businesses and marketplaces
- Work experience related to advertising and auction systems
- Expertise deploying models to production
- Expertise in testing and evaluating the impact of network effects
- Knowledge of web applications and service-oriented architecture
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the neighbors we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.