GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Data Engineer is responsible for building and maintaining our Data Engineering systems that drive numerous business functions using near real-time data analytics solutions. This role has a core focus on improving performance and scalability of key Data Engineering systems that are essential for operating our advertising business.
Behind the scenes, the Data Engineer will be working with large datasets at the scale of billions of events each hour so it is important that the person in this role is comfortable working with distributed computing in a highly scalable, cloud-based environment. Reporting to our Engineering Manager, this role works as part of a team of engineers in the technology division of our Advertising business.
- Build, maintain, and improve our data infrastructure which currently handles billions of advertising events every hour
- Implement and maintain streaming and batch pipelines for data ingestion and delivery
- Curate a data warehouse for business and technical stakeholders
- Contribute to GumGum’s proprietary machine learning forecasting systems
- Develop scripts and APIs that serve internal and external reporting needs
- Investigate and test the capabilities of emerging data technologies
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional teams
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- 2+ years of data engineering or software engineering experience
- 2+ years building data applications in Scala, Java, and Python
- Proficient with distributed data processing with Apache Spark
- Experience with SQL and modern data warehouse platforms - Snowflake, Redshift, Big Query, or Synapse
- Experience with workflow management platforms - Airflow, AWS Data Pipeline, Luigi, or Prefect
- Experience designing data models, warehouses, and ETL pipelines
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with engineers, project managers, and business stakeholders
- Track record of solving difficult data problems with a wide toolset
- Enthusiasm for exploring and testing new technologies
- Creates thoughtful code that is purposefully designed and easily understood
- Critical thinker, able to break down complex problems and work with ambiguity
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/health/person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
Return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will re-open in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
- Thoughtful: We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
- Agility: We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
- Grit: We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.