Senior Backend Enginee
At Brave Care, we are building the future of healthcare for kids. We are rethinking what getting care for your kiddo looks like, in order to create the best experience for kids and parents. That means building everything from the tech to the clinics, end to end ourselves.
Brave Care is full of kind people doing the best work of their careers. Self-starters who want to work collaboratively to achieve more. We learn from each other and support each other through all the challenges of building the future of children’s health care. We offer competitive salaries and benefits but more than that, work that matters. Making the world a better place is a cliche in the startup world, but the impact we have on children and families can change their lives.
Families love us!
We have over 250 5-star Google reviews and > 95 NPS. Here’s a few things parents have said about us:
“This place is amazing. The entire staff was so warm and welcoming to me and my children. They had my kids comfortable and laughing almost immediately. We didn’t feel rushed at all, and communication was clear and thorough. It was hands down the best doctor experience I’ve had since my kids were born.”
“My son broke his arm over Memorial Day Weekend. Honestly, Brave Care provided the best care I have ever seen. They even treated his teddy bear. I'd give them 10 stars if I could!”
“What a fantastic place! They made what could have been a traumatic experience one of joy. We came in for stitches and left with a sticker and smiles all around. They are friendly and genuinely care about the families they serve.”
“Dr. Fish was amazing with my son. I have never seen him be able to open up to a health care provider like that before. I highly recommend it!
We’re a small team building tools that directly impact our patients and families, as well as our clinic staff. We work quickly but calmly. We’re looking for an engineer with some great backend & DevOps chops. You'll be responsible for taking projects from concept to completion. You'll work with wonderful engineers, designers, and medical providers. You will have autonomy and creativity and see the impact of the code you write.
Everyone on our team works across the stack. We use Typescript, Node.js, React Native, Hasura, Postgres, and GraphQL to build our mobile apps, web site, and backend.
This is a full-time, remote position (the US only) at a fast growing startup.
- You are excited to build software that makes a tangible difference in people’s lives.
- You feel the goal is not to write software but to help people and software is a tool to do it.
- You are interested in the product as a whole and want to collaborate with design and other stakeholders to build the best thing possible.
- You're not quick to say "no" but you also understand every "yes" has its tradeoffs.
- You have strong opinions backed by experience and are able to articulately discuss the pros/cons of various approaches. But you are also open to new ideas and ways of doing things.
- You are kind, caring and want to work with people who are making a difference.
- You are self-motivated and driven. You want to be given problems to solve rather than tickets to pick up.
- You want to bring your ideas to the table, and we want to hear them.
- You are focused on ways to enhance the experience of those using the Brave Care Products and always looking for new ways to solve old problems.
Some of the things you will do in your first month:
- Pair with other engineers to familiarize yourself with our different apps, tools, and stack.
- Participate in code reviews and planning.
- Work with teammates to ship new features and improve the tools that run our clinics.
- Join our Tech Support rotation and help our clinic staff with any urgent support issue
In 3 months
- Revamp our CI pipeline to enable per branch deploys and beta releases
- Help us improve our security by implementing stricter access roles
- Lead our database design to support flexibility and growth
- Host a lunch and learn, to share your knowledge with other engineers
In 6 months
- Ensure we have a performant, secure, extensible platform for our web and mobile applications.
- Oversee a full pentest and security audit
- Document our full tech stack and create run books
- 8+ years of experience
- Experience building complex systems and ensuring they remain reliable and secure.
- Experience managing AWS and working with CI pipelines
- Experience working on the monitoring/observability of an application
- Experience with TypeScript & Node.js
- HIPAA / SOC2 compliance experience a plus
Compensation & Benefits
At Brave Care, we believe in life at work and life outside of work. We want our employees to be happy and healthy, as well as have the resources and the support they need to thrive. Benefits include:
- Competitive Salary
- Company Equity
- Paid Family Leave (Maternity / Paternity) 12 Weeks
- 4 Weeks Paid Vacation + holidays
- Full family health care coverage including comprehensive, medical, dental, vision, Life & Disability Insurance
- Conference Allowance (once the world is back to normal)
- Education/Tutorial Allowance
- 7 Paid Sick Days
- Wellness Allowance ($100/month - gym, spa, whatever you like)
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity for you, please tell us about yourself and why Brave Care is the right place for you. If you don't think you meet all of the requirements but are interested, please apply!
Brave Care is an equal opportunity employer and committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.