Senior Backend Engineer
PhotoRoom develops cutting-edge technology that empowers entrepreneurs, small businesses, and merchants to easily create images that sell - leveraging deep learning. Our ambition: power the internet’s commerce images. Our first consumer product, the PhotoRoom app, is already a leader in mobile photo editing: we serve 6M+ users across more than 180 countries monthly and our app was awarded as the Best App of 2021 by Android and named Editor’s Choice by Apple. Our company is profitable, and our lean team is made of world-class experts in deep learning, product, and marketing with backgrounds at Apple, Algolia, Google, or Bumble. We are a diverse team of entrepreneurs building for entrepreneurs.
- PhotoRoom is looking for their first Backend Engineer. You will work on a backend millions of users are relying on: up to 100 QPS, 200 GB PostgreSQL DB, and 100s of TB of content. Working hand in hand with the mobile & web team, your impact will be huge. It is the opportunity to work on a product acclaimed by Apple & Google (Best of 2021, Editor's Choice), solve complex backend challenges, and make a decisive difference to our users.
- 65k€-100k€* depending on experience + Stock-Options/BSPCE
- We are flexible: you can work from anywhere in Europe and come once a month in Paris (fully reimbursed), or come to the office more often.
- We offer substantial support for relocation (10k€ signing bonus), including finding an apartment in Paris and supporting you with the visa procedure.
- Technology - new MacBook Pro, monitor, keyboard, etc.
- Socials - Quarterly company retreats, weekly Happy Hour & Game Time
- PhotoRoom is an international team and we work in English. We offer language lessons for those who need them (English & French).
- We can go higher for outstanding profiles and adapt to the cost of living if it is higher than in Paris.
About the role
- You'll be the first engineer in the backend team, taking over our CTO who has been working on the backend so far.
- You will have full ownership of the backend: used by millions of users to save their content and share it across devices.
- You will own your work from A to Z: it goes from working on the architecture & coding features to monitoring releases' performance (we use Datadog for monitoring).
- You will develop the first version of live collaboration/multiplayer (like on Figma or Google Docs).
- You will get fast feedback from our users and will iterate quickly (we update the backend several times a week). You will follow the usage of the product and make decisions based on that.
- You will work within a small multicultural team composed of ~30 passionate, friendly & committed folks.
- You have 3+ years of experience in backend development with Django, Django Rest Framework, or a similar REST framework.
- You are always the most pragmatic person in the room. You favor speed of iteration over perfect, always leverage frameworks and libraries to avoid reinventing the wheel.
- You have experience working with a relational database at scale, architecturing schemas, and running migrations with minimal downtime.
- Bonus points if you have a hands-on experience with a PostgreSQL database larger than 100 GB.
- Bonus points if you have experience working with WebSockets at a scale.
- You have experience working on products requiring complex architectures.
- You have a strong sense of ownership. You take initiative and you are at ease to make product & technical decisions.
- You have worked as part of a talented team and have experience in a fast-growing startup.
- You are fluent in English (French is not required!).
- Screening call
- Home technical assignment, followed by a review with the team (can be compensated and does not take more than 3 hours)
- Culture fit interview and meet the team!
- Reference check & Offer
- Support - If you have a medical condition or an individual need for an adjustment to our process, and you believe this may affect your ability to be at your best - please let us know so we can talk about how we can best support you and make any adjustments that may be needed.