Senior Software Engineer
The WordPress Special Projects Team helps interesting people, organizations and projects to have an excellent experience with their WordPress websites. We connect our partners with the best that the WordPress community has to offer, from design and development to hosting and maintenance.
On a given day, the team is consulting, troubleshooting, improving our partner sites, managing our network of contractors, and of course, building things with WordPress. We are looking for engineers who have extensive experience building sites with WordPress (maybe that’s within an agency, maybe that’s as a freelancer). Expertise in best practices around performance and security are essential to this role.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Enough about us, let‘s talk more about you. In this role, you will:
- Advise and consult on WordPress development best practices, including coding standards, security, and performance.
- Guide the team’s contractors and Technical Account Managers on architectural planning and decisions.
- Providing code review and testing according to best practices.
- Assist with theme and plugin development for partner sites.
- Design, develop, test, and refine internal tools to facilitate complex migrations of content from non-WordPress sites into WordPress sites and that support the team’s work.
- Participate in team-wide strategy and planning conversations.
- Expert knowledge of PHP development.
- Expert knowledge of WordPress development best practices, especially security and performance.
- Experience with developing and supporting high-profile, high-traffic WordPress websites.
- Excellent communication skills in the service of advising and supporting influential partners/clients.
- The ability to get things done while reducing friction for your colleagues and our clients. You respond rapidly when called upon and are proactive. You view our customers as partners and pride yourself in establishing long-term relationships. You enjoy working with everyone from other engineers to project managers to designers.
- Expertise in Automattic’s products e.g. Jetpack or WooCommerce.
- Experience working on accessibility.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
These are exciting times at Automattic and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.