Senior Full Stack Engineer
ABOUT AVANT ARTE
Avant Arte wants to make art radically more accessible for a new generation.
We started as a cult blog of contemporary artists, initially inspired through rap lyrics and hip-hop album covers. That blog grew organically into the world’s largest and most engaged online art community, with more than 2 million of their followers under the age of 35. We collaborate with iconic contemporary artists like Jenny Holzer, Cai Guo-Qiang, Claire Tabouret and the Chapman brothers, making their work more accessible to younger collectors through sculpture editions, print editions and unique works on paper. And we have built a highly engaged community of next-generation art collectors, which means Avant Arte’s artist launches are heavily oversubscribed, with many behaving more like fashion drops, selling out in under 30 seconds. The company’s vision is to inspire a generation of millions of young people who love art like they love music and who collect works like they build their wardrobe.
We’re a small team with really big ambitions, both for what we want to achieve and also the environment we’re building. We want to create a company that remains thoughtful as we scale and tries to be genuinely progressive in how we operate; we want people to really own what they do and be given the autonomy and freedom to make mistakes, learn, and create something meaningful. We all work incredibly hard because we really care about what Avant Arte is here to do – we’re looking for exceptional people who are proactive, hungry to learn and want to put their pride in our collective achievements.
WHAT WE NEED
We are looking to add a skilled Full Stack Developer to our small but rapidly growing cross-functional product team.
You will help to define, and be involved across, our technology stack and will thoughtfully and incrementally create new features and products that delight our customers and help drive our business towards an ambitious vision. This is a role that will be challenging and rewarding in equal measure, while providing high levels of autonomy during an incredibly exciting phase of growth.
We’re looking for someone with a strong development background and proven track record in delivering well-crafted software. You will be someone who can lean on past experiences to help solve complex problems, while always being open to new approaches and technologies.
As one of our first engineering hires you will have a pivotal role in moving our technology platform forward. We currently run a hybrid Shopify & WordPress setup but have ambitious plans to move towards a modern web technology stack.
As an early-stage business, your work will include many opportunities to be part of conversations about more than just technology – including design, data science and product strategy – but the core of your role will involve:
- Design and implementation of scalable and performant applications.
- Owning code across our stack, with no limits on what you work on – from backend services (with GraphQL) to front-end web apps in React/Redux
- Participating in architectural and software development activities.
- Contributing to the definition of the product roadmap, helping to define requirements and come up with creative solutions to business problems.
- Taking responsibility for supporting your changes through the development lifecycle all the way through to production.
- Take part in reviewing and optimising the team's processes to ensure we're working at our best.
The skills and experience we’re looking for are:
- You have previous experience working in cutting-edge technology environments and have a demonstrable track record of delivering scalable, robust applications.
- You will have built a good amount of your experience as a full stack developer and you will be comfortable using multiple programming languages.
- You're a highly motivated self-starter with strong organisational, communication and planning skills, all of which is especially important at a startup of our size.
- You know how to build scalable web apps and how to run them on cloud computing platforms like AWS
- (Desirable) You have Shopify, Liquid, and PHP experience.
We’re obviously biased but we think Avant Arte is a really exciting prospect for people who want to learn fast in a high quality environment, who are excited about helping make art as popular as music or widely collected as fashion, and who care about building something big in an area of culture with huge potential for meaningful impact. Here are some of the main benefits:
- You’ll get to be part of building one of the fastest growing tech companies in culture, backed by early investors in companies like Skype, Farfetch, Glossier & Facebook
- We offer competitive salary, equity & holiday allowance, as well as flexible working hours
- We have offices in both London and Amsterdam and are fully supportive of remote working
- We have a learning & development budget for every person at the company