Backend Software Engineer
SPAN develops products that accelerate the rapid adoption of renewable energy in the home. The flagship SPAN Smart Panel is the first true evolution for the traditional home electric panel, harnessing enhanced technology for metering, monitoring, and control. An expanded product suite of intelligent, integrated solutions radically lowers the cost and complexity of energy upgrades–including solar, batteries and EVs–empowering homeowners to be active, resilient and informed players in the energy market.
We are seeking a backend software engineer to join our team building the cloud-based glue that gives our users access to the rich information and controls provided by the Span Panel. Our system collects a large volume of energy monitoring data that needs to be stored, processed, and exposed in different ways for different end-users. We're also opening up never before available levels of control of the energy in the home that need to be accessed in secure and easy-to-use APIs.
You’ll join our cloud software engineering team and work with other engineers including mobile, device (firmware), and systems software teams. Working with the team you’ll lead the design and implementation of systems that integrate our hardware, mobile apps, dashboards, and external APIs. You'll work with product owners and other engineers to build features from start to finish. Since the team is small you'll quickly become the go-to person for features you work on.
- Design and develop new features and subsystems in the Span Cloud to support a variety of end-users
- Work cross-functionally with product and design teams to learn about our customers, identify solutions and develop the features that solve their needs
- Collaborate between firmware, frontend, and backend engineers on projects to seamlessly build a cohesive product
- Work in our TypeScript cloud with GraphQL and REST APIs communicating with IoT devices over AWS tools and MQTT
- Designing APIs and data specifications for internal and external users
We are seeking a seasoned backend engineer with several years of demonstrating knowledge and experience in:
- 3+ years of experience as a backend engineer with a track record of taking ownership of projects and features.
- Collaborating with engineers from multiple domains to complete projects.
- Building Cloud-native systems on platforms like AWS, GCP, Azure (we use AWS).
- Collaborating with coworkers in shared codebase using industry-standard tools and processes including type systems, linting, and unit testing
- Understanding engineering principles and processes to design robust, scalable, and resilient systems
We would love to hire someone with experience working in one or more of the following areas:
- Internet of Things (IoT) products (e.g. AWS IoT, Google Cloud IoT, something homegrown) or other hardware components to the product
- AWS SaaS and IaaS offerings
- Docker-based deployments
- Python, especially data science packages
- A variety of different datastores (e.g. SQL and NoSQL, key-value stores, document stores)
- GraphQL APIs
- Products with a rich mobile app
- Infrastructure as code tools like Terraform
SPAN offers a unique opportunity at a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Working at SPAN, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation and early equity at a well-funded, fast-growing, venture-backed company (read more on why Amazon and others invested in SPAN here and here)
- A sunny 20,000 sq ft hardware lab + office space in SOMA, a stone’s throw from Caltrain and close to BART
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- Additional SPAN holidays in celebration of causes we believe in (this year so far we provided days off in celebration of Black History in Feb, Women’s History in March, Earth Day in April and Gay Pride & Juneteenth in June)
- Comprehensive benefits including a choice of medical plans; dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Diversity - we are serious about this. Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.