Senior Game Developer
We're looking for someone to ready to lead the game development for a profitable, growing company that teaches tens of millions of kids to code (and doubled our revenue last year). You'll work directly with top-tier artists, game designers, and educators from Harvard, Leapfrog, Teach For America, and more to build games that teach computer science to kids while actually being fun! The best part: this is a hands-on role. Less meetings, more coding! Sound exciting? Read on...
About the Role
You'll spearhead development of our first Unity-based version of Kodable, with the opportunity to work in a variety of areas including game frameworks, game design, UI, networking, optimization and everything in between. This is a direct-producer role, we're looking for someone that wants to build the product, not just direct.
Who we're looking for
- You care deeply about programming education
- You have 5+ years of Unity development experience in a production environment
- You have released, or been a significant part of the public release of a game (doesn't need to be anything major like a Nintendo game, but ideally something that got a few users)
Highly Preferable (but not required) if
- You have 1+ years experience with 2d game development
- You have experience with any Cocos2d frameworks (Cocos2d-X, JS, iPhone). If you don't - that's ok! We can help you get up to speed
- You have experience with networking and interfacing with server-side code (saving/loading data, offline syncing, etc)
- You have experience building and deploying multi-platform games (deploying to Web and iOS, for example)
Bonus Points if
- You have experience with REST APIs (creating or consuming)
- You have experience with game design or illustration
- You know COBOL and are an expert at punch-card coding
About the team
The Kodable team is full of bright, ambitious people who are passionate about teaching kids to code. You’ll work with a product team with over 50 years of collective experience creating top-notch games for companies like EA, Leapfrog, and Scientific Learning. Every member of the team has a voice in making Kodable great.
You'll join a remote-first team that prioritizes communication, collaboration, and insights from diverse backgrounds when building new features. Most of the team is based in the Bay Area, but includes team members from across the United States as well as immigrants from Kenya and Kyrgyzstan. Kodable places value on creating an inclusive culture, where we can learn from each other’s different experiences.
We also focus on making each other better as people, not just as workers. For example, we have a pushups channel in Slack (complete with pushup-coach bot) and we all set a weekly goal for ourselves that has nothing to do with work. Work/Life Harmony is a big focus at Kodable, and we prioritize our own mental health instead of just the typical startup grind.
At Kodable, you’ll have the opportunity to grow as a person, as well as professionally. Join the pushups Slack channel (complete with pushup-coach bot) if you want to. You’ll also set a personal goal for yourself each week, that has nothing to do with work. Work/Life Harmony is important at Kodable, and we prioritize our own mental health instead of just the typical startup grind.