Senior Frontend Engineer
Who we are
tldr; We build software for Airbnbs to rent themselves.
What we do
Our mission is to democratise access to state of the art technology for short-term rentals. We want to facilitate a future where hosting short-term rentals is at least as easy as managing long-term rentals.
Today, we do this by helping Airbnb, Vrbo, and Booking.com hosts deliver a great and personal guest experience automatically, though native API integrations, machine-learning, and robust software.
We are a small, but impactful team of 15 people, working all over Asia, Europe and North America. Our team is fully remote and distributed. We embrace the fact that your best environment is wherever you - personally - feel the most productive and comfortable for day-to-day work.
We (used to) organise frequent meetups and retreats for the team to physically meet throughout the year. The last trips were to Lisbon, Prague, Paris, Tenerife and Brussels. We are all really looking forward to the next time we would all be able to be together.
Our company is profitable, with a solo founder (@Pierre-Camille Hamana) who built the first version of the product. We are interested in building a great, growing and sound business. That seems to be working: we help our customers manage over 205,000 properties in 151 countries, with a world-class NPS (±70).
How we recruit
Amongst our core values are transparency and humility. To help you in finding out more about Hospitable, we are releasing an "Applicant Handbook" (on Notion) that may help you find out more about us, from us:
Where we're at with product:
- 2018: We added HomeAway (now Vrbo) as a second integration alongside Airbnb, entered channel management territory with our Sync product, and started offering in-depth occupancy and financial metrics.
- 2019: We rebranded and launched an entirely new, modern web app experience.
- 2020: Apart from a few wildcard projects in response to the pandemic (RIP footshake, "churchill", and "napoleon"), we spent this challenging year improving and simplifying the customer experience across the board.
- Q1 2021: We've released two of the most requested features: our official Booking.com integration - adding a 3rd major platform alongside Airbnb and Vrbo - as well as the ability to manually add bookings Hospitable's calendar and inbox. Other highly requested features are in the works.
- Q2 2021: We're working on the ability to let customers build their own websites, with the ability to take bookings direct, seamlessly integrated into Hospitable.com. We're building in public, working closely with customers to refine this feature.
- Looking forward: we'll be improving our channel management and messaging product line, expanding the "people" (cleaning, check-in) product tremendously, and exploring a completely new product direction that's crazy ambitious.
Where we're at with tech:
- Late 2018: We took on a product designer, a front-end engineer, and begun work on Smartbnb 2.0 - a completely new interface design, which also splits the old monolithic front/back end codebase into distinct projects
- Mid 2019: We launched Smartbnb 2.0 ! A full redesign and rearchitecting of the web app, with clear separation of the new Angular frontend, a (JSON over REST) API layer, and backend workers.
- 2020: Stabilised and iterated on v2.0, shipped several new major features (User Management, and a mobile PWA for example)
- Now: We're on Angular 11, and expanding our frontend team to help us ship better and faster.
- Looking forward: We've got some exciting new product lines in the pipe, opportunities to improve and refine our codebase and design system.
We are bold, like risks, and take on big challenges together. Our customers love the product, provide valuable feedback, and trust us to rapidly help them with more of their problems.
Who you are
You are a fantastic human seeking to build something amazing with other fantastic humans!
More specifically, you are a unique blend:
- You are fanatical about customer experience and user journeys.
- Your compass points toward customer and business value.
- All while being a great frontend product engineer, whose code is a means, not an end.
- Pretty magical.
What you will be working on
- Talking to customers.
- Discovering and shaping new products and features that demand to see the light of day.
- Rallying the rest of the team around these new products and features.
- Building these new products and features.
- Designing and coding the architecture of our core systems and micro-services.
- Developing code that is a joy to work with.
What you will unlock
- So much personal potential!
- Fantastic user reviews when we give them more of their life back.
- Team kudos.
Why you will succeed
- Because you have data-backed answers ready.
- Because you hold yourself and the team accountable.
- Because you own both the product and tech.
- Because you solve the right problem, in the right way.
- Because you provide critical feedback to everyone and everything.
- Because you are heard, and your feedback is acted upon.
- How we will grow together
- Exposure to a product-fanatical team's iterations of features and the company itself.
- Personal engineering level-up through daily, compounding improvements.
- You will receive (and provide!) frequent code reviews and team reviews.
- You will be challenged, and you learn how to rise to the occasion.
- Sure, we aren't building reusable rockets, but our long-term vision for remote real-estate investors is pretty grand.
What you'll need to bring with you
If you're hesitant to apply for this position because you feel that you don't meet this list of qualifications fully, don't worry! We want to hear from you.
- Product Owner or equivalent product shaping experience.
- Caring about the impact your code has on your team, your customers, and their customers.
- Attention to detail and eagerness for constant improvement.
- Everything else is a lovely bonus that we're excited to hear about!
When applying, please be sure two answer two questions:
What does product engineering mean to you? Could you tell us about a life experience that gave you a unique perspective?
What we offer
For us, the company itself is also a product, one that we iterate on. We're always improving and creating an environment where we all love to work.
- A supportive and caring team environment.
- Competitive salary.
- Ample - and encouraged - paid leave.
- Maternity and paternity leave.
- All the resources and tools that you need to succeed, including budget for personal development.