Senior Backend Engineer
Ovia Health, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Labcorp, offers a preventative and proven platform trusted by over 17 million families for daily personalized health engagement with high-touch support, 50+ clinical programs and research validation from over 48 peer-reviewed publications and 38 partnerships with world-renowned research institutions. Our mobile apps and comprehensive digital solutions for fertility, pregnancy, and parenting empower people to take control of their health and navigate parenthood with confidence.
Ovia Health and Labcorp are Equal Opportunity Employers. We are proud of our diversity, and we create inclusion and belonging through how we onboard, meet, connect, engage, and communicate. Join us!
The Senior Backend Engineer will be responsible for
- Lead the design and development of our backend systems using cutting-edge technologies and best practices.
- Develop high-quality, scalable, and maintainable code that meets our business requirements.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand business needs and develop solutions that align with our overall strategy.
- Optimize our systems for maximum performance, scalability, and reliability, using monitoring tools and other techniques.
- Contribute to the development of our engineering culture, by promoting a collaborative, innovative, and continuous improvement mindset.
Who you are
- An expert at your craft and able to produce high-quality, stable cloud-based software solutions that utilize engineering best practices
- Mastery of at least one programming language (ideally PHP) and a deep appreciation for how testing, static analysis, and engineering standards ensure the quality of software solution
- Thrive on complexity and open-ended technical problems with the ability to define the solution and break it down into deliverable components
- Have a track record of contributing to product and business direction, collaboration across different teams, and delivering solutions that meet expectations and are pragmatic
- Understand that being a consistent and active participant in code review enables a team to onboard quickly, share knowledge, and deliver solutions to the business quickly
- Able to communicate effectively through verbal and written communication and convey information concisely to technical and non-technical stakeholders
What you will do
- Work in a small, empowered team to build and deploy cloud-based backend services for Ovia's mobile applications to deliver a solution that provides daily personalized family health support for all families on their parenthood journey.
- Develop code and features that ensure our member's experience puts families first, invest in women's health, and closes health equity gaps.
- Solve exciting and challenging distributed systems problems to ensure our systems can serve billions of monthly API requests.
- Mentor other team members and teach them what you've learned about delivering quality, highly performant applications with engineering best practices at scale
- Evolving and ensuring our backend code base continues to stay up-to-date with engineering best practices and current cloud-based infrastructure
- Be a part of a culture that values collaboration, inclusion, experimentation, learning, and continuous improvement
What we require
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with distributed systems across multiple systems and teams.
- Top-notch software engineering skills and relevant experience in designing and building performant backend systems.
- Experience utilizing PHP in a recent professional environment (7.4+ and Symfony), or Ruby on Rails or Python, to build distributed backend systems
- Fluent in engineering best practices such as testability and object-oriented design with the ability to incorporate these into technical solutions
What we offer
We believe in Ovia Health’s mission and love what we do, and working at Ovia Health is a chance to be a part of something truly impactful. We value our employees tremendously and do what we can to help them stay happy and healthy, at work and away from it. In addition to a supportive and healthy environment, we offer:
- Small, dynamic and tight-knit teams that encompass a supportive and collaborative atmosphere
- Growth and education stipend
- Flexible work schedule
- Unlimited paid vacation and sick leave
- Four options for medical insurance coverage
- Dental, and vision as well as many other wellness-centered benefits
- Employer contribution to 401k with immediate vesting plan
- Paid parental leave
- Ability to be fully remote
- Pay Range: $101,206 - $170,900