Senior Back-end Engineer
Alice raises the take-home pay of working Americans. 156 million employees in the US are spending more and more of their budget on healthcare, childcare, and commuting. Alice uses software to add money to people’s paychecks when they spend on everyday items that are pretax eligible—with no forms, no math, no acronyms. When employers connect Alice to their payroll system, their workers keep more of what they rightfully earn, without any more work from HR. Alice is a true win-win-win. Employees take home more of what they earn, employers save on payroll taxes, and Alice is paid only from what employers save. No one pays for Alice out-of-pocket.
We’re a bright, diverse, and dedicated team solving hard problems. Our day-to-day work crosses cultures we are passionate about—venture backed-tech, government and regulators, employers and business owners, local communities, and working people. We take great pride in having team members from different backgrounds because we know that every voice matters.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
We're looking for a back-end engineer to join our fully distributed team—more than just a coder, you care about what to build as well as how you build it. Our team is lean and data-driven, and we constantly iterate our feature development in a daily release-cycle.
Our mission gets you out of bed and jazzes you up. You get that working at a startup means your work bleeds outside the edges of a job title. When you’re interested you deep dive and tell your friends. You like the tension between craft and shipping. That someone is struggling through your product experience hurts your heart. Maybe you want your next job to be VP of Eng at a big startup or the CTO/co-founder of your own—you will learn how to do that here.
It’s not easy to give millions of Americans a dollar an hour raise. You’ll play a key role in helping to develop our product vision and own the architecture and development of significant parts of the platform. Specifically, we'll rely on you to handle day-to-day challenges including:
- Understanding and innovating within highly regulated domains.
- Making a simple and delightful product experience from a complex set of business rules.
- Designing and executing the flow of money using banking APIs.
- Integrating with a panoply of payroll systems ranging in sophistication and modernity.
- Using machine learning to classify millions of transactions.
- Tying our AI and messaging to build a better conversational platform to interact with our customers.
- Making all this work at scale so working Americans can keep more of what they earn.
This is a rare opportunity to join a team with a powerful mission early enough to see your fingerprints shape the product and the company for years to come.
You’ll get to work directly with our repeat entrepreneur founders and the rest of Alice’s high-performance team. Our team has experience from awesome places like Adobe, CBS, Handshake, and Lending Tree. We’re backed by talented advisors from Grand Central Tech, and notable investors like Bain Capital, Notation Capital, and Trinity Ventures.
Alice will make sure that you have…
- The ability to impact the paychecks of tens of thousands of hard working Americans - something that's more important now than ever before
- A smart and supportive team who are dedicated to our mission and to setting you up to reach your full potential.
- A professional develop stipend to invest in ongoing growth, learning, development.
- Competitive salary, healthcare, retirement, and vacation benefits.
You'll be a perfect fit for joining our team if...
- You want to go back to a Series A stage startup or you are super ready to be challenged at your first startup.
- You have built or dream about building a consumer-facing product in a regulated domain.
- You've lead or made significant contributions to a complex or internet scale Rails app
- Rails and React are a couple of tools you’ll use to get the job done quickly and know extremely well, but not the only tools you know.
- You think money is an important challenge in the lives of everyone and you want to solve that for people especially hourly workers.
- You pride yourself on your ability to communicate complex concepts or code to anyone who’ll listen, whether they’re technical or not.
- You want to have outsized impact building the culture of a growing engineering organization.