Senior Backend Developer
Our job is to connect homeowners with qualified tradespeople, and our mission is to provide quality home jobs for every tradesperson and quality tradesperson for every home job. We operate the market-leading brands in France (Travaux.com), the Netherlands (Werkspot.nl), Germany (My-Hammer.at), and expanding in Italy (Instapro.it) and Austria (My-Hammer.at).
Our Product-Technology-UX department consists of more than 130 talented professionals, deeply passionate about providing value to our customers.
Travaux, Werkspot, and Instapro are part of IAC / ANGI Home Services.
Team & Technology
You will become a part of a product development team that builds and continuously improves our application based on insights and data from user research and experiments. You will work together with two Back-end developers, two Front-end developers, a UX Designer, a User Researcher, a Product Manager, and a Product Analyst. A team of Agile Coaches will assist your team.
You will also be a part of a back-end guild with other back-end engineers across the company. Through that guild, you help to ensure the high quality of the software by proposing new technologies, improvements, setting quality standards, exchanging experience, and contributing to cross-team initiatives.
We have a modern stack that includes PHP 8, Symfony 5, GraphQL, Kubernetes, and Docker. We keep a close eye on quality and test everything in an automated way through our CI/CD pipelines, powered by GitLab.
You will join us in our mission to provide quality home jobs for every tradesperson and quality tradesperson for every home job. The team you will join is focused on increasing and guaranteeing the quality of the jobs that homeowners post on our platform.
You are a positive team player who is willing to help and support the team to reach their objectives.
You are willing to go beyond pure software development by participating in product discovery sessions and research to help us define the next challenge the team will work on.
You will have our support to learn continuously and the autonomy to decide which skills to nurture to help you and our company succeed.
You are not afraid to step up and take the lead when necessary, but you're also humble enough to understand there's a lot still to learn out there.
- Collaborate effectively with the team to deliver high-quality solutions for our users.
- Coach and mentor developers in your team and help them grow.
- Be a present voice during product and technical discussions.
- Contribute to, maintain, and adhere to back-end development quality standards and best practices with other back-end developers.
- Understand data and context that drive decisions.
- Be proactive in suggesting improvements, ideas, solutions, and offering help.
- Bring your opinion to the table and be respectful to others while engaging in productive discussions.
Your skills and experience
- 5+ years of experience developing web applications with PHP;
- Mastery of software design principles and back-end application architecture, with the knowledge of applying them in practice;
- Experience with test automation tools and frameworks;
- Experience with working as part of a cross-functional team;
- Collaborative and emphatic mindset; and
- Nice to have: experience with SEM and SEO, GraphQL, and pipelines (particularly GitLab) and AWS.
What we offer
- A great working environment in the center of Amsterdam (once we go back to the office);
- Flexible working hours and remote working to accommodate personal needs;
- A competitive salary;
- Personal growth budget and time for attending training courses and conferences;
- Relocation budget if coming from abroad (once it is safe);
- 25 days of annual leave;
- Pension arrangement;
- Lunch allowance, fruit, and coffee;
- Free fitness in our building; and
- Frequent and fun events with the entire company to celebrate achievements and milestones.
How we organize ourselves
Our Product-Technology-UX department currently consists of people from over the world: Brazil, Canada, France, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, and the USA. We approach our decisions in an experiment-guided and agile way: we validate new directions using various quantitative and qualitative research methods.