Senior Front End Engineer
Universal Tennis is on a mission to grow the sport of tennis by connecting players globally through level-based play, innovative events and a digital marketplace. We are both a technology and tennis event company. Our innovative tools and technology make tennis better for all players and providers, with our gold-standard UTR tennis rating system at the core, powering level-based play around the globe. We proudly operate the UTR Pro Tennis Tour with Federations and venues to support aspiring pro players and provide new pathways for competitive juniors. To learn more, visit www.universaltennis.com.
The Company is Silicon Valley based, profitable, high-growth and backed by some of the leading investors in tennis, sports, technology and media, including Ken Hao (Chairman, Silver Lake Partners); Larry Ellison (Co-founder and CTO of Oracle); TEAM8, the creator and principal owner of Laver Cup and sports company founded by Roger Federer, Tony Godsick, Ian McKinnon and Dirk Ziff; Novak Djokovic (20-time Grand Slam Champion); Mark Leschly (CEO of Universal Tennis, Founder & Managing Partner of Iconica Partners, Managing Partner of Rho Capital Partners); Tennis Channel / Sinclair; Tennis Australia (operators of the Australian Open); and many others.
The Universal Tennis development team is looking for a senior front end engineer to join our team to help work on new initiatives and projects to bring new capabilities to the tennis playing audience. To excel in this role you should be willing and unafraid to dive into any challenge. This role will report to the VP of Engineering with a focus on new features and products. If you value a culture of delighting customers this position may be for you!
In this role you will:
- Work on new development initiatives to bring new and improved mobile first/responsive tennis experiences for both players and providers. Examples include leagues, group messaging, player monetization, gamification, rewards and more
- Design front-end architecture with architectural guidelines in mind (secure, high-performing, scalable, flexible, simple)
- Collaborate with architecture and product management to establish development plans and timelines and implement scalable, clean user experiences
- Architect, build and own end-to-end experience using custom, reusable UI components
- Write client-side code for web-based applications, create fast, easy-to-use, high volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly
- Suggest continuous improvements in user interface, software architecture or new technologies.
- 5-8+ years of developing front-end web applications
- Expertise in caching, minification, bundling techniques (Webpack) to improve front end performance.
- Experience with user interface design
- Proficiency with Redux
- Experience building mobile first/responsive UI/UX using HTML5, CSS3 and frameworks like Bootstrap, CSS Pre/Post processors, and build tools (Babel, Webpack, etc)
- Experience optimizing Core Web Vitals
- Previous marketplace, ecommerce experience
- Track record of focusing on software performance, scalability, and security
- Experience with Scrum, Kanban and other agile methodologies
- Experience and excitement for working on small teams with startup DNA
- Ability to work both collaboratively as part of a team and independently to dive deep and solve tough problems
- Propensity to seek out, accept and integrate feedback professionally
- Self-motivated, quick/continuous learner with a passion for innovation
- Authorization to work in the United States
Nice to have
- Experience with Azure - App Services, Functions, Data Factory etc all a plus
- Experience with Relational Databases (SQL Server and/or MySQL) and an understanding of Document or No-SQL databases
- Sports fan and/or Tennis player
Universal Tennis is headquartered in Palo Alto, CA but this position is fully remote, US-based. We are offering a competitive salary and equity compensation package with flexible working hours and generous PTO. Our benefits include:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Paid Time Off (Unlimited Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Work From Home