Staff Software Engineer
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
We’re looking for Staff Software Engineers to balance the role of an individual contributor while also anchoring new projects, leading technical direction and mentoring other engineers on the team. We highly value individuals with intellectual curiosity and openness. We collaborate across the organization, helping our engineers think big and take risks while building a culture of diversity, positive energy and blameless truth-seeking. Our engineering team leverages a diverse tech stack and our focus is finding smart engineers who’ve worked on complex projects and we have all the trust you’d be able to pick up whatever tech necessary in the stack.
We have openings across a variety of backend teams. Here are a few examples:
- Exchange: The Exchange team builds and operates the core systems that process and match orders across all of Coinbase (Consumer & Pro). These systems are almost always on the hot path for users so we are constantly working to improve our systems to reduce latency and jitter while maximizing throughput.
- Backend Platform: The Backend Platform team is focused on building robust architectural foundations, toolsets and a culture for all of Coinbase engineering to build high quality, secure & reliable products.
- Users: The Users team builds and operates user services such as identity verification, authentication and authorization. You’ll be working with OAuth that powers our mobile clients and third party developers, monrails that power 2FA authentication logic & our institution identity management service.
- Institutional: The Institutional team builds and operates state of the art execution and storage systems that allow our customer to trade and store millions of dollars of cryptocurrency on any given day.
- Crypto: The Crypto team builds and maintains the shared infrastructure to make Blockchains and Crypto assets available for products. You’ll work on engineering problems in cryptography, security, blockchain technology and distributed systems, with a focus on enabling Crypto investing and growing the Cryptoeconomy.
What you’ll be doing:
- Architect and develop distributed systems
- Provide technical structure to teams and work closely with management and stakeholders to define strategic roadmaps
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards
- Design and implement foundational infrastructure components used by every engineering team in production (e.g. dynamic configuration, secrets storage, container orchestration, etc)
- Write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers
What we look for in you:
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering
- You’ve experienced architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems with significant impact
- You’re passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together
Nice to haves:
- You have gone through a rapid growth in your company (from 10 to 100s of engineers)
- You have experience with Blockchains (such as Bitcoin, Ethereum etc.)
- You have experience decomposing a large monolith into microservices
- You’ve worked with Golang, Ruby, Docker, Sinatra, Rails, Postgres
- You’ve built financial, high reliability or security systems