Senior Software Developer
SSENSE (pronounced [es-uhns]) is a global technology platform operating at the intersection of culture, community, and commerce. Headquartered in Montreal, it features a mix of established and emerging luxury brands across womenswear, menswear, kidswear, and Everything Else.
SSENSE has garnered critical acclaim as both an e-commerce engine and a producer of cultural content, generating an average of 100 million monthly page views. Approximately 80% of its audience is between the ages of 18 to 40. It is privately held and has achieved high double digit annual growth and profitability since its inception.
SSENSE is looking for a Senior Developer to join our Pricing & Promotion team. The Senior Developer will take complex features of the product roadmap, break them down into their required technical components, and develop them independently.
The ideal candidate will own at least one component of the SSENSE technical stack and holds accountability for its SLAs. They will actively contribute to knowledge dissemination within the organization, participate in the recruiting and onboarding of new employees, and mentor Junior Developers on the team.
- Develop a deep understanding of the product roadmap for the squad, including future features to be developed
- Contribute to high-level estimation and participate in laying out the development sequences, challenging the product roadmap and identifying areas where technical debt can be reduced or avoided
- Complete independently complex development tasks and actively contribute to pushing code to production Write testable, efficient, and reusable code suitable for continuous integration and deployment, respecting best practices and SSENSE development standards
- Review Unified Modeling Language (UML) diagrams and technical documentation
Ownership and accountability
- Accountable for code quality, with the assistance of a QA Analyst, by conducting adequate testing Be accountable for performance, reliability, scalability and resilience of at least one technical component owned by the squad through SLAs and monitoring
- Contribute to cross-squad initiatives, acting as a change agent amongst peers to foster adoption of new processes or technical solutions
Knowledge sharing and coaching
- Review Pull Requests with the objective to guide and upskill junior developers on various technical topics Actively contribute to SSENSE University, the internal peer learning platform, to promote continuous learning Participate in the onboarding of new developers
- Contribute to solution designs, challenging other members on technical decisions and explaining the technical design to junior developers so as to write the documentation.
Participate in HR recruiting events, helping to identify and recruit top developers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field, Master’s degree an asset 5+ years of software development experience
- Able to code complex features with Typescript (Node.js & Vue.js)
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with Microservices
- Understand event-driven architecture & pub/sub pattern
- Experience developing backend services
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases at scale
- Confident with the development of REST APIs
- Able to write different levels of tests (Unit, Contract, Integration, E2E, TDD)
- Proficiency in Git
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, French an asset
- Familiarity with AWS is an asset
- Experience with DDD (Domain Driven Development)
WORLD CLASS TECHNOLOGY
Technology is at the core of everything we do at SSENSE. Driven by an engineering mindset and a problem-solving attitude, we blend fashion with technology to deliver an unparalleled experience to our customers as we build seamless, custom solutions to deliver the SSENSE offering.
WORLD CLASS TEAM
The SSENSE tech team is responsible for an international headless commerce platform. Working in an agile environment, our squads are made up of experienced innovators in Product Management, QA, Design, DevOps, Software Development, Machine Learning, Data Engineering, and Security. Headquartered in Montreal, our technology organization has been growing at a rate of 2X year-over-year and is doubling once again in 2021 as we expand across Canada, US, and Europe.
WORLD CLASS PLATFORM
The SSENSE platform runs on Amazon Web Services making use of serverless microservices across web, mobile and app. Our event-source architecture already achieves over 10,000 requests / second and growing at an unmatched pace, currently unseen across the industry. Our data-driven culture of innovation empowers every product team across the tech organization to explore building, testing and learning with the latest in Machine Learning techniques. Our automated continuous improvement DevOps model (making use of both blue / green and canary deployments) results in an average of 50 production releases every day.