Work anywhere in the US, must live in the US
We are growing! Join a technology team of 35+ developers, quality assurance engineers, business analysts, project managers, etc who support a company of over 130 people with industry-leading web applications for subscription-based continuing education.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
A leader in online education, Continued is composed of passionate individuals dedicated to providing an exceptional learning experience that enhances the lives and careers of the professionals we serve. We are fast-paced, nimble, and laugh a lot. We all work from home offices in various locations across the country. We are dynamic, engaged, highly motivated, and highly skilled. We are passionate about our work and our professions and we’re looking for another team member to join our cause. We are certified as a great workplace, ranked #100 in Fortune’s 2022 Best Small & Medium Workplaces for Millennials, ranked #86 in Fortune's 2021 top 100 Medium-Sized Workplaces in the US and ranked #13 in Fortune's 2020 top 25 Small & Medium Workplaces for Women by the independent analysts at Great Place to Work®. Learn more about us at continued.com.
We celebrate diverse voices within our organization and in the professions we serve and welcome and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds. We strive to be an inclusive workplace where our team members feel empowered and supported in their careers. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious creed, disability status, or age. We are also committed to paying our team members at fair rates based on their skills and experience.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We share code on github whenever able and we try to contribute back to the open-source community, on whose shoulders we stand. Though we are virtual, we communicate a lot and have a tight-knit group. Paired programming isn’t required, but it’s encouraged along with lots of collaboration. We have worked with the CakeDC core group and keep up to date via continuing education, conferences, etc.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking an experienced and engaged PHP DEVELOPER who is motivated, creative, and fun to support and extend our existing codebase, and to develop new custom Laravel web applications.
- Full-time W2 position, work core U.S. business hours in your time zone
- Ability to fulfill the job requirements with or without reasonable accommodations
- Work from your home office
- Company-provided MacBook Pro, internet stipend, etc
- Must be located in the United States and be legally eligible to work for us
- Travel is required for an annual company meeting, and may be required once or twice per year for team or project meetings
- We offer comprehensive medical, dental, and vision group health insurance, flexible spending accounts, telemedicine, accident insurance, and more
- We offer 21 days of flexible paid time off per year (increases with tenure) as well as your birthday and holidays (you may substitute any of the standard holidays for another public holiday such as bank/school or other regional or religious holidays)
- We offer a 401k match, professional development, charitable gift matching, robust wellness programs, and more
- Major web application feature development and bug fixing - both refactoring of legacy code and ground-up development of new development efforts
- Plan, code, and deploy new features, applications, projects, modules, and plugins
- Troubleshoot highly-specific application bugs and determine resolutions
- Assist stakeholders in developing feature specifications
- Optimize and refactor existing code to improve performance, stability, and reliability
- Suggest improvements, security needs, best practices, etc (your voice will be heard)
Self-management and time management are critical in this role. Without it, you will not be successful. Other requirements include:
- A communication pro – must be able to explain technical issues to a non-technical person, pleasantly (we are always on Slack with stakeholders)
- Extensive experience with PHP, Modern Frameworks (Laravel, CakePHP, etc.), HTML5, jQuery, Vue, SASS & CSS
- Experience working with SASS, AWS and cloud based web applications is a plus
- Ability to take an idea from concept to reality in an iterative and highly releasable manner
- Ability to work on both front end and back end technologies
- Ability to take design documents and turn them into functional code
- Ability to work independently and with other members of the team, including Quality Assurance engineers
- Comfortable refactoring/understanding legacy code
- Comfortable with writing, editing, and maintaining unit/feature tests
- Structured, disciplined approach to development, testing, and deployment. We are not a start-up
- Highly-attentive to details, able to cross all the t's and dot all the i's and help review/fix issues with the code of others
- There is direct project oversight, but you are expected to take ownership of your work and your projects, establish deadlines, and communicate progress proactively
- Eager to research and learn in a self-directed way (always improving)
- Easygoing, fun, and a team player – must be able to comprehend highly-advanced forms of sarcasm
- Working knowledge of xkcd comic strip or similar, is useful