Senior Full Stack Engineer
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the role:
Our Consumer Products teams connect our customers to indispensable content and experiences, and our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
This Engineer role will create and support high-profile, delightfully designed Consumer Products, across Commerce, Subscriptions and service/utility offerings, along with supporting our suite of brands and sites.
What you'll do:
- Join product managers to turn great ideas into great experiences for our readers. Work together to break an idea down into deliverable pieces ready for iteration and improvement
- Build on a collection of robust, reusable web components used across our network of sites to produce pages seen by 40M people every month
- Deliver backend APIs that scale and deploy with ease
- Create sites that are accessible and forward-compatible through the healthy use of web standards
- Identify and address bottlenecks to make sure every web page goes from request to render as quickly as possible
- Know how to get the job done today, while you're on the lookout for a better way for us to work tomorrow
What you'll bring:
- 3+ years of experience working with other developers on a live product
- A passion for building contemporary web applications, along with an extensive understanding of best practices in development with reactive frameworks, such as React, Vue, Angular, or Next.
- Production experience with at least one backend language and know your way around a database or two
- Fluency in HTML5 and CSS3. You write semantic markup that robots love and can arrange the trickiest of layouts while keeping your CSS simple
- An understanding of the basics of HTTP life cycles and how browsers render a page, and are comfortable digging around browser developer tools beyond the console
- Knowledge of how to choose the right technology for the job, and the ability to spot when a framework will save you time, when it will get in the way, and when it isn’t worth the trouble
- An eagerness to mentor junior engineers, advocate for best practices, and foster inclusive technical discussions
- Experience with distributed systems, using standard AWS infrastructure services, such as ECS, Lambda, SNS, and Cloudwatch, or their equivalent in other cloud service providers.
- Values the right to privacy and security for our readers and customers, and for the web at large.
- Knowledge of working with GraphQL and TypeScript is a plus.
- Working knowledge of modern identity protocols and standards like OpenID Connect, OAuth2 is a plus.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.