As a Backend Engineer, you will work on a small team that develops the core systems that power Instawork's staffing engine. This includes our dispatch algorithms (matching workers and businesses), payment systems, and realtime geo-location services. Backend engineers are also responsible for scaling our development practices and production systems.
Note: Although this is a remote position, we are only considering US-based candidates.
HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Develop & maintain core services like our dispatch engine, payment system, and geo-location service
- Evaluate and develop new tools and technologies that can help achieve company-level goals
- Tackle tricky bugs & edge cases that span multiple systems and platforms
- Improve the performance and reliability of our services including databases, CI/CD pipeline, web services, and other integrations
- Collaborate with other teams on security, automation, and internal tools
HERE'S WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- 4+ years software development experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Industry experience programming with Python (preferred), JS, Ruby or other modern languages
- Experience with databases such as MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, Neo4j
- Exeprience with deploying and maintaining services on AWS
- Experience with Docker orchestration (ECS, k8s, etc) is a nice-to-have
- Familiarity with ETL & data pipelines is a nice-to-have
- Medical/dental/vision insurance
- Health FSA and Dependent Care FSA
- Open PTO – take the time you need
- 401k (non-matching)
- Flexible work from home policy, home office budget
- Bias for Action -- We practice high-velocity decision-making, despite encountering ambiguity frequently.
- Act Like an Owner -- We have a strong ownership mentality. Because of this, every person on the team has the potential to make a huge impact.
- Always Be Learning -- We learn rapidly and eagerly, from different teams within and outside the company. Respectful debate makes our organization stronger.
- Empathy, Trust, Candor -- Being empathetic to our users and each other helps build trust in our community and company, and fosters successful decision-making.
Instawork's goal is to be the essential hiring engine for small to medium-sized businesses across the globe. Our first step toward this goal is to become the "the Uber of Staffing” as our technology enables us to service needs of the massive gig economy. We are well positioned in the light industrial space (think warehouses, fulfillment centers, food operations) and looking to quickly expand our reach across the country and then the globe. Light industrial is a growing sector of the US workforce, and staffing is the by far the biggest struggle faced in the industry for both businesses and workers. This presents a unique opportunity for a major disruption to the outdated job boards or help wanted signs in the window.
We are making a difference for thousands of businesses in multiple markets and currently looking for top-notch talent that want to change the way companies utilize on-demand talent to fill staffing gaps. Essentially we are enabling gig workers to spend their extra time to make extra money to close the gap on their financial needs.
We’ve been fortunate to be funded by some of the greatest investors in Silicon Valley: Benchmark (Bill Gurley), Y Combinator, SV Angel, Crunchfund, Steve Chen (co-founder of YouTube), Mike Vernal (VP of Product at Facebook), among many more.