Senior Software Engineer
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place. We're the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, and WooCommerce. We’re looking for a performance minded engineer to join our Jetpack team to work on bringing simple, powerful performance solutions to everyday WordPress websites via our Jetpack Boost product.
Jetpack is one of the most popular plugins for WordPress, with more than 5 million installations and a growing user base. Jetpack leverages the Automattic cloud infrastructure to deliver security, backup, speed, and growth to individual users and businesses, as well as major agencies and hosts. We just recently celebrated our ten year milestone and we’re excited for the next ten years!
We're a relatively new and growing team with the opportunity to have a substantial impact in performance of the open web! We need creative, dedicated engineers who care about the user experience on the web and are mindful of things like web performance, bundle size, core web vitals, etc.
Enough about us! Let's talk more about you. As a Performance Engineer you:
- Understand best practices for optimizing website performance and keen to explore new techniques for improving performance.
- Are interested in making website performance accessible to the open web.
- Have experience with making systems faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, and/or design.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability, having experience with testing frameworks, performance and unit testing is very welcome.
- Are comfortable providing technical support and training to our users and Happiness Engineers as needed.
- Are comfortable with, or excited to learn about, systems engineering, networks, file transfer, databases, and monitoring.
Extra credit if you have:
- WordPress programming experience.
- Open source contributions.
- Experience in setting up sensible data collection, and able to explore and query it to inform product decisions.
- Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in your future at Automattic:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily for hosted services, and at least monthly for on-premise/shipped software, with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
These are exciting times at Automattic and Jetpack. You’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.