Full Stack Engineer
Like the idea of helping get kids great food instead of helping some bankers make more money? Yeah, so do we. A lot.
We are Yay Lunch, a new business concept with the mission to empower local communities by connecting people to real food, made fresh daily. Today, we are providing a meal solution that improves food quality AND access where kids learn and play. Our food services support local vendors AND remove all the pain points for school administrators and parents when it comes to supplying nutritious and tasty meals to kids.
Since launching a pilot in Spring 2018 in Charlottesville, VA, we have expanded rapidly now serving multiple markets along the East Coast. We have aggressive growth plans backed by experienced venture capital partners in the Education and Food Tech space, and we are excited about creating change in how our youth eat today.
Come join us! We’re a startup, so you should know that we will always charge hard, move quickly with agility, and require deep passion and resilience for our mission. We give our growing team of rock stars the tools to succeed with a commitment to flexibility, transparency, respect, empowerment, and positivity.
To enable this work, we are hiring a passionate problem-solver who will help take our technology platform to the next level. Do you have great ideas and the enthusiasm to build them? Join our team! Together, we will brainstorm, collaborate, design, build, and ship code that gets great kids great food, right when they need it most.
About the Tech Team:
At Yay Lunch Tech, we're a small, scrappy team who wear many hats and work across the software stack. We build and maintain infrastructure that powers the organization and delights our customers--including both schools, parents, and kids. Our current tech stack includes
NuxtJS/Vue via Vercel, and Laravel PHP via Laravel Vapor over AWS.
We have a lot to say about our technology choices, and we’re empowered to make and own some pretty big decisions using data as our foundation. We take our work seriously, while recognizing that work is just one part of being a real human. We rise and fall as a team. We believe in choosing the best language, platform, and tool for the job and are not language zealots, but we also recognize the switching cost of straddling too many languages. We also believe good programmers don’t need to come in with an exact match of experience and can learn our systems and software stacks.
If you have strong skills, seriously enjoy a variety of work including frontend, backend, mobile apps and other more scifi stuff, can both teach and learn from others, are thoughtful about your code and can own both your successes and your mistakes, this may be a good spot for you. We have a “no stupid questions” policy and encourage egoless collaboration. (If you like a lot of politics and hierarchy and meetings, process for process sake, or building and managing empires of direct reports, this is probably the wrong place.)
In this role, we would expect there to be minimal travel, but expect to get your chance to periodically ride along with a driver, visit a food vendor, and help to deliver to a school near you to stay in close contact with how our business works.
We firmly believe that technical talent comes in a great variety of forms from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, and lifestyles. This position is remote, but preference is given to candidates based in Charlottesville, VA or one of our existing markets.
About the Role:
As a Full Stack Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting and growing the core eCommerce engines and clients that are at the very heart of the Yay Lunch business.
- Write code and lead projects that span the entire software stack, including prototyping, front-end development, API development, high-performance back-end applications, database design, and system architecture.
- Debug, analyze, and resolve scaling problems, with tactics like architecture simplification, adding caching layers or queues.
- Contribute to system architecture and build vs buy decisions, and make hard decisions about complexity.
- Contribute to team discussions on building an equitable working environment
- Come up with ideas for new innovative approaches to development
- Learn, grow, and succeed in your career.
In addition, you will also:
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade software
- Create security and data protection settings
- Build features and applications with a mobile responsive design
- Write technical documentation
- Conduct effective code reviews
- Work with internal teams to improve software based on analysis and metrics
- Help resolve customer-impacting issues
This is an important role in the company and you will have a big influence on the technical success of Yay Lunch.
To be successful in this role, we are looking for a candidate who has:
- 2-5 years experience as a full stack engineer/developer or similar role
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience developing web and mobile applications that scale
- Familiarity with common stacks
- Knowledge of how to implement the following
- Asynchronous requests
- Promises/Async Await
- ES6+ Modules
- Vue or NuxtJS (preferred)
- React or NextJS
- Experience writing code in any server based language
- Object oriented programming
- API consumption & API creation
- Backend Framework experience
- Laravel PHP (preferred)
- Express (or other Node.js based frameworks)
- Experience on any SQL based platform
- mySQL (preferred)
- SQL server
In addition, a successful candidate will have:
- Great communication and teamwork skills
- Great attention to detail
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- A strong sense of personal humility
- Degree in Computer Science, Statistics or relevant field or relevant work experience
- Flexibility and curiosity to dive into new areas, figure things out, ask for help when you need it, and deliver results
- Comfortable with ambiguity and with creating tools and processes to build a path to success for the department
- Ability to be effective in an organization whose staff all work remotely
We pride ourselves on being a good employer, and to that end we provide:
- Competitive salary + bonus + company options
- Health Insurance - Medical, Vision, Dental and Life Insurance
- 401(K) Retirement, up to 3.5% employer match
- Flexible paid time off (unlimited time off program)
- Technology allowance, data stipend, office allowance (or co-working space)
- Remote, flexible, and family-friendly environment
- Significant support structures, on-the-ground training, & coaching from central team members