Senior Software Engineer
As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious engineers to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every month by 2023.
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Consumers expect realtime digital experiences as standard and synchronized data in realtime is business critical for many organisations. Yet, at the same time, organizations don’t have the in-house capabilities nor the time to do this efficiently at scale. That’s where Ably comes in.
We provide a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 250 million devices across 80 countries each month. Organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg, HubSpot, and Hopin depend on Ably’s platform to offload the growing complexity of business-critical realtime data synchronization at global scale.
But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be.
What we do
Ably’s engineering team is deeply technical, collectively bringing a wealth of experience and broad technology skills across infrastructure, security, distributed systems, and much more. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites and motivates us each day. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably.
You'll be working with a deeply technical engineering team who collectively bring a wealth of experience and broad technology skills. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites us each day and motivates us. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably.
Day to day you can expect to:
- Work on the core realtime platform which is largely Node.js and Go. We are looking for developers who have a strong track record in at least one of these technologies.
- Solve distributed systems problems. Find out what it takes to be a distributed systems engineer.
- Own and be responsible for the complete lifecycle of your features and code, all the way through to deployment.
- Contribute to open source projects that we support or use in our products, including our open source client libraries.
Skills & Experience:
- Significant experience as a Software engineer
- Advanced knowledge in one of our main programming languages, NodeJS, Typescript or Golang
- Experience working with large distributed systems and event-driven architectures
- Gained experience in Cassandra and/or other distributed databases is a plus
- You take pride in your craft and continually look to learn
- Hands-on mentality: people know you as a proactive problem-solver, who is not afraid to take ownership and accountability
- You are fluent in English and are known for your team collaboration skills
- You are interested in distributed systems and the challenges of working at a global scale
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Founded by two engineers who spotted a hard and largely unsolved problem, Ably is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide the infrastructure required for a high-bandwidth, always-connected world, we hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready and capable of taking on challenging realtime engineering problems.
As a company and engineering team we’re committed to a future internet that’s open, with all engineers contributing to existing open source projects.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. As an Ablyan, you’ll enjoy taking ownership and making an impact, with work that is both varied and challenging. To thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
- Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
- Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even the best do better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
- Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
- Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
- Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lens, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
What’s in it for you?
- A great company culture
- Share options
- The chance to learn and grow with a fast-moving company, supported by a learning budget of £1,000 that gives you access to professional training, events, conferences, workshops etc.
- Remote first: Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you’ll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and Summits. Travel to the office is at the employee's expense, apart from when we have Ably Summits
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up budget of £500, plus an annual top-up of £150
- Regular company away days and social events
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Private health insurance, including [email protected]
- Access to private and confidential coaching via Sanctus
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme with AXA
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- Enhanced parental leave
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- 10 days of paid sick leave (including mental health days) per year
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!