Frontend Engineer (Payments Web)
We help developers integrate Stripe into their website with Stripe.js and Elements.
Research has shown that the design and flow of the buying experience can dramatically affect the success of an online business. On the Payments Web team, our goal is to help developers create the best possible experience for their customers, leveraging all of the technology and expertise Stripe has to offer.
Payments Web is the team responsible for Stripe.js and Elements. Today, we provide tools around credit cards, wallets like Apple Pay and Google Pay, and global payment methods like iDEAL and Alipay. We’re faced with the challenge of how to make Stripe’s frontend tools surprisingly easy to integrate, customizable to fit with any type of website or business model, and powerful enough to serve the needs of the most advanced online businesses.
You might work on:
- Building new Stripe Elements that help developers create a delightful buying experience
- Discovering and implementing UX best practices to increase conversion
- Improving the performance and reliability of Stripe’s foundational JS library for building fast, secure checkout flows
- Communicating closely with developers that use Stripe to create a superlative developer experience and documentation
- Designing internal platforms to help global teams at Stripe add payment methods
We're looking for someone who has:
- Experience shipping high-quality products from start to finish
- Empathy, a collaborative spirit, and the ability to work effectively with a team
- A desire to work closely with users, gather feedback, and understand their problems
- A combined passion for great user experience and API design
- An appreciation for the importance of good documentation – internal and external
- Attention to detail, especially around performance, accessibility, reliability and security
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.