As Zapier continues to scale our mission to democratize automation, we’re hiring Backend Engineers across the organization. Our organization works in the EPD model, meaning that Engineering, Product, and Design work together in Product Engineering squads to build and ship features & products our customers love. Leveraging modern cloud based microservices, our teams build core backend services to enable secure, scalable and performant solutions and products. Using established patterns like OpenID Connect and Python, you will be part of existing and newly formed teams and be highly involved in design and implementation to ensure we deliver the best value to our customers.
- You love building. You have at least three years of experience as a Software Engineer. You're familiar with Python and backend frameworks such as Django. You enjoy a balance of application development and reliability tuning. Zapier is built on Python, Django, React, Node.js, and AWS. We use modern tools, which means you’ll have the opportunity to work with software like Memcached, RabbitMQ, Docker, GitLab and Redis.
- You excel working on a team. You enjoy being part of a team that solves problems together, collaborating on ideas and working to meet team goals. You like pairing up with teammates when someone gets blocked. You give and accept feedback professionally and don’t let ego get in the way of delivering the best solution for the customer. You can summarize technical concepts effectively as you work with people from disciplines outside of engineering.
- You embrace service ownership. You appreciate the speed and autonomy a team has when it owns its services. You also know ownership comes with the responsibility to monitor your team’s services and make sure they are reliable and performant.
- You love shipping to customers. Nothing we build matters if it isn’t meeting customers’ needs. You’ll be on a team that collaborates with internal customers’ to provide interfaces to our vast collection of integrations. You’ll also learn to empathize with Zapier’s end users and add capabilities to the Platform that enable Zapier to offer new products. You'll have the opportunity to ship code daily that will be used by millions of people.
- You love doing things efficiently. At Zapier, we believe in “Don't be a Robot, Build the Robot.” We build systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
- You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet. You have a balanced approach to adopting new tech vs using well-understood patterns.
Things You Might Do
- Directly impact how our customers can be more productive by building and supporting the foundational building blocks of Zapier.
- Redesign and build services that execute API calls to thousands of 3rd party APIs. REST, GraphQL, XML-RPC; we handle them all!
- Work with Amazon services like Lambda and MSK to build scalable solutions that process millions of requests.
- Operate and scale the systems you and your team build.
- Ship code to millions of users every week.
- Build and scale web products that directly impact our customers or partners.
- Create tooling that enables automation that leverage other microservices in our architecture.
- Develop solutions based on containerized microservices in a cloud based infrastructure
- Monitor reliability and performance through dashboards and tools to ensure availability
- Dig into bugs and feature requests
- Work and collaborate with other engineering and product teams to help them deliver value to customers in new and exciting ways
- Travel of 5% - 10% for company retreats that rotate to various cities throughout North America
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.