Ruby on Rails Developer
Join a growing company in the business of sport, develop your career and work on an amazing product with happy customers.
Help the world to play more sports!
At SportsKey, we aim to fix the problem of idle or underused sports facilities by providing an easy to use SaaS product that makes it simple for venues to manage and promote their sports facilities online. This results in a dramatic reduction in admin and increased revenue for the venue and more people playing sport.
Our long-term vision is to help the world play more sport. In the short-term, we are on a mission to help 20 million people play sport by 2024.
To achieve this, we need to maintain our high engineering standards and drive our core SaaS product forward. That’s where you come in.
About this role
We’re looking for a well-rounded, experienced software developer to join our CTO and form the core of a small but solid development team. Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Design, develop, optimise and maintain our core Rails application
- Actively participate in the product development process from the very start, from specification to delivery
- Constantly improve our high technical standards and processes in code quality, performance and security
- Help our customers directly and proactively by squashing bugs as they come to our attention
We’re a small, growing company with a dedicated and passionate team, and you’ll play a big part in our success in this role. You’ll benefit from strong mentoring and will have the opportunity to grow your career with our business, with the potential for technical leadership if you so desire.
Our technology toolkit includes Ruby on Rails (7.x), PostgreSQL, Bootstrap, Heroku, Cloudflare, AWS S3, Stripe, Github, AppSignal, Mailgun. We collaborate using Trello, Slack, MS Teams, Github.
We have an exciting roadmap chock full of new features, UI/UX improvements, tooling and infrastructure improvements, 3rd party integrations, internationalisation, and much more. It will not get boring here anytime soon.
What we are looking for
We need you to hit the ground running on these so you can focus on learning about our product and processes instead of catching up on the basics:
- Several years experience building commercial Ruby on Rails products
- PostgreSQL or similar (way beyond ActiveRecord)
- Excellent verbal and written communication (we mean it and we’ll screen for it)
- Well-developed remote collaboration habits
As a bonus, the more of these boxes you tick, the more productive and fulfilled you will be in this role:
- You have a strong focus on writing well architected, readable code
- You have a true passion for building user-friendly software used by real people
- You’re slightly obsessed with code quality and maintainability, and can explain in detail what that means to you
- You have experience with and enjoy UI/UX design, particularly of the responsive kind
- You’ve made some non-trivial open source contributions
- You enjoy DevOps and configuration management, and wearing many hats in general
100% Remote (Europe)
This is a full-time, permanent position. Most of us are based in Dublin, Ireland, but this is a 100% remote role. We're looking for someone in roughly the same time zone (GMT +/- 2 hours) and within reasonable flight time from Ireland so we can all get together at least once or twice a year.
Our interview process
We’ll try to keep it short and reasonable:
- A 30 minute introductory chat with Thilo, our CTO.
- A 90 minutes technical interview via Teams or Hangout
- A final 30 minutes call with Craig, our founder and CEO
What we can offer you
- Be part of a small, passionate team with a vision to help the world play more sports
- Learn and grow your skillset every day through hands-on mentoring by an experienced technical founder
- Flexible work arrangements with 100% remote and a schedule that suits your life
- Career growth opportunities if you stick around
- Competitive compensation based on your experience level
- Half-day Fridays during the summer months