Senior Software Engineer (Frontend)
Babylist is an e-commerce and gifting platform for new parents and parents-to-be. We are a rapidly growing business looking for talented contributors to join our seasoned, cross-discipline team.
Our web application and backend systems are at the center of the Babylist experience - an experience our users love as they prepare for one of life's biggest events.The Babylist engineering culture is one of learning and knowledge sharing. We are passionate about experimentation, automation and shipping value to our customers. Our stack is based on Ruby on Rails and React. We continue to expand our toolbox to use the best technologies for the job.
Who You Are
- You care deeply about user experience.
- You have a track record of implementing systems that can adapt to new business requirements. You can leverage domain experience in web technologies and e-commerce.
- You understand testing, monitoring and running a production software system. You are able to develop an architecture with a team.
- You are passionate about using your engineering experience to quickly define and implement systems and features that provide value to our customers.
- You value collaboration and working with a strong team. You are excited to support your team and pleased when they support you.
- You know how to roll up your sleeves. We like systems that run well, but when things don't go as planned we support each other.
What You'll Do
- Provide thought leadership around site performance, deployment, developer velocity, and much more. You would feel excited to bring in new ways of solving problems.
- Work closely with product and design to shape and implement new features.
- Improve and help maintain existing systems. Friction in the development process slows us down and has a large opportunity cost. We see value in taking time to create maintainable systems and remove hurdles from the development process.
- Working in a close, supportive team solving real world problems and making decisions.
- Mentoring other team members through design and architecture planning, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions.
- Maintaining older systems and replacing them safely.
- Learning and growing as an Engineer.
What You'll Need
- 5+ years of engineering experience with a proven track record of building consumer web applications.
- Experience in site performance optimization.
- Experience with testing and continuous integration.
- Experience with Ruby/Rails and AWS is a plus.
- Mentoring. You're comfortable and excited about helping others learn their craft.
- Group dynamics. You should be well versed in effective group communication. As the saying goes: strong opinions, lightly held.
- A hunger to learn from your peers and make their jobs easier. We like to learn from each other.
Our Tech Stack
- Ruby on Rails
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We are a remote first company and invest in infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are committed to providing an actively antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
Babylist is the leading destination for baby commerce, where 8 million people each year buy what they need to welcome a new baby. We serve parents and the community of grandparents, friends and relatives around each baby - connecting everyone who helps plan, prepare and shop for the new arrival. From the “add anything from anywhere” registry for new