Senior Software Engineer
Atticus is seeking exceptional engineers to join a small, high-trust team reporting directly to the technical founders. We are on a mission to bring more truth to the world of business, by building premium tools that empower people working in regulated environments to do their job better. We care about having a great workplace culture, designing things of beauty, engineering quality, and solving actual problems for our customers. We also don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Our document review and verification software is used by the world’s largest law firms and listed entities, enabling them to seamlessly fact-check documents before public disclosure. It is a deeply consequential space—our users’ work is central to the function of global markets and the rule of law, with a lot of edge cases and human pain, and it’s underserved in tech. Maintaining trust and good security are paramount in everything we do.
We want Atticus to be the best place you’ve ever worked. We do this by:
- Being selective about who we hire, and making sure they share our values
- Giving people control over how and where they work (100% remote friendly)
- Investing in our people, and providing them with growth opportunities
- Growing sustainably as a company (Atticus is completely bootstrapped)
- Clearly articulating our company goals to everyone (the relative importance of any two tasks should be derivable from company goals)
- Focusing on engineering and design quality (we have high user buy-in, and things don’t break in the night)
- Generous compensation (GBP£90,000-120,000 + equity, dependent on experience and ability)
In return, we expect you to:
- Be a champion of workplace culture
- Be an intentional communicator
- Stay humble and grounded
- Prioritise ruthlessly, and bias towards action
- Work hard when you are working, but
- Switch off and recharge when you’re not
You should also have experience designing, building and maintaining complex production systems, and be capable of owning the journey from user story through to deployment. We are particularly interested in people who can build beautiful interfaces with React.
Please apply, even if you’re not certain you’re a perfect fit—give us the chance to meet you. If you have questions, feel free to reach out to , but we’ll probably just say “sure, apply!”. On receiving your application, we’ll follow up with an outline of our process so you know what to expect.
P.S We tried keeping this brief, but will reward those of you who got this far with an assortment of semi-random facts:
- We are a Melbourne, Australia based legal technology startup founded in 2017 by two programmers and a school teacher turned lawyer
- We build a web application for document review that’s used by 80% of the Australian legal market, 30% of the UK Top 30 law firms, and 35% of the ASX Top 50
- We have a dog-friendly Collingwood office that you can work from if you’re in Melbourne, and fly remote people to visit once a quarter
- About 50% of our people work fully remote. We are located in Victoria, Perth, Adelaide, Queensland, London and Toronto
- 16 weeks paid parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
- We care about output over hours. High performance looks like working together competently and efficiently, and having enough time and energy left over to enjoy the rest of life
- Everyone gets 5 weeks off a year, as well as birthday leave
- We have an internal testing tool called “the swarm”
- On starting, you’ll get a new Macbook Pro and $2000 to build your own great work-from-home setup
- We have a generous professional development program, so generous that the details are sensitive