Lead Android Developer
Our work is driven by our team’s desire to be pioneers.
In 2009, we created Robots & Pencils with the then-contrarian view that mobile would be more transformative than the Internet. Turns out we were right.
Today, our thinking is rooted in the belief that, in the age of unprecedented technology acceleration, maintaining a competitive advantage requires new strategies and a focus on innovation
Our approach has been to create a company designed to follow the talent, allowing us to amass an unfair share of hyper-skilled people who call Robots & Pencils home. A team of people who not only develop innovative solutions to transform businesses, but also create products that have been previously inconceivable.
What are our core values?
- Strong Work Ethic
- Top Drawer
- Always Learning
Robots & Pencils offers:
- We care about Talent. Hard stop.
- We do this in many ways, by offering:
- An attractive compensation package
- Excellent benefits Medical, Dental, Vision etc. (this routinely gets reviewed each year for enhancements)
- Paid stat/federal holidays, vacation and sick days
- Flexible paid stat/federal holidays (because we care about what you care about and want to celebrate our culturally diverse team!)
- R&P branded swag
- Parental & adoption leave top up / salary continuance
But we also know a job isn’t just defined by the above, so we pride ourselves in being a company that also offers:
A FollowTheTalent mentality -- meaning you can be located anywhere in North America and work remotely. (We have 10+ years of experience building virtual working environments WeKnowWhatWereDoing)
A dynamic, fast-paced environment where we’re constantly alwayslearning.
And lastly, a team that cares about you and wants to drive the talent experience. How do we do this? Over the years we’ve hosted comedian shows, had holiday parties, happy hours, brunches with the CEO, surprise coffee runs for the team, health & wellness events and prizes, trivia nights, surprise dinners for R&P team members and their family and so much more! (And yes, we’ve prioritized a way to do these things in a virtual setting and not just in person - thank you Zoom!)
You do remarkable things and solve tough problems where many others have failed before. We are looking for people who are driven to be pioneers. If this is you -- we want to hear from you!
- Design, program and test software while creating a shared sense of direction in team identity.
- Author and maintain relevant documentation for developers, Clients, and users to encourage innovation.
- Develop and refine prototypes to confirm requirements.
- Program according to project plans (versions, sprints) while also seeking innovative solutions.
- Test according to predetermined test plans.
- Drive release and post-release activities, such as support, versioning, and maintenance.
- Collaborate with our pencils (designers) to create interfaces that conform to Google design guidelines.
- Peer review other team members’ code, and learn and adapt from peer review of your own code. You leverage your own knowledge to teach and mentor other team members
- 7+ years of delivering software with preference given to those who have a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- Has worked on the latest modern Android Tech stacks
- Hands-on experience building Android apps
- Strong experience working on Kotlin
- Strong understanding and practical knowledge of the full mobile development and application life cycle
- Strong understanding of Android UX/UI guidelines, best practices and able to work with them independently
- Has explored the Android Architecture Components
- Expertise with Android using Android Studio, Java, and Kotlin
- Experience working on JetPack Compose for UI
- Experience working on Kotlin multiplatform
- Expertise with Git
- Expertise with mobile development issues related to performance optimization, caching and security
- Comfortable with Architecture patterns (MVP/ MVVM etc.)
- Comfortable with REST, GraphQL, and JSON
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to share insights and expectations with Clients, stakeholders and colleagues, both locally and remotely