Join our team either remotely or in our HQ in Amsterdam. This role can be based in any location within the EMEA region.
MessageBird is transforming the communications landscape as one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world. Our cloud communications platform makes it possible for businesses to instantly connect with over 7 billion phones globally, allowing them to speak with their customers in the same ways they talk to their friends.
Our suite provides access to all major messaging channels, from SMS and Voice to WeChat, Messenger, Facebook, WhatsApp and more. We provide out-of-the-box solutions with our own applications like Inbox and Flow Builder, plus a robust set of APIs that simplify workflows and automation.
With over 15,000 customers — from small and mid-sized businesses to some of the world’s biggest brands — it’s likely that you’ve benefited from our technology at some point. Our products range from turn-key applications like Inbox, Flow Builder and Campaign Builder, to leading solutions and APIs for enterprises; all are available through our Online Self-Serve (OSS) dashboard.
Our global team is a powerhouse of 350+ employees, who work across eight international offices.
How we work
We work fast, grow fast, and build fast. Life at MessageBird moves in fast-forward motion. We’re a team that focuses on making an impact — right from day one. We are go-getters, industry leaders, and dreamers. Risk takers. Roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen kind of people. We thrive on transparency, and we value solution-minded attitudes.
We are all driven by one ethos: Get Shit Done. We love shaping things together and leveraging different perspectives, because that makes our products better. Our Birds are empowered with freedom and opportunity; in return, we expect honesty, courage, and agility. We own our work, and sometimes we fail. And then we get back up and cross the finish line — together as a team. Sound refreshing? We think so, too.
The role: Front-end Engineer
Front-end Engineers play a key role in our product engineering squads. You’ll be responsible for helping design, develop and maintain the user interfaces of our communication products and services.
Our product engineering squads have the freedom and authority to create impactful products to empower both our internal and external customers. We use an agile development methodology, meaning we deploy code multiple times per day while ensuring our applications are rigorously tested and statically analyzed.
What you’ll do
- Work on different aspects of our user facing products and websites, including Inbox, Flow Builder, Customer dashboard and messagebird.com, our Developer Portal.
- Keep our front-end code up to date using the latest best practices and tools.
- Work closely with a team of designers to make their designs come to life, and keep designs scalable and re-usable by keeping our shared component library up-to-date.
- Make sure our front-end code lives up to performance standards
- Stay up to date with the latest tools and libraries to benefit user experience, performance, and developer experience
- Work on products that thousands of people use everyday, sending millions of messages
What you’ll bring
- 3+ years experience in a relevant role
- Previous experience working with React, or other Component Driven libraries.
- Knowledge of Redux and/or other state management solutions.
- You’re comfortable working with modern APIs within web applications - most of our APIs are built with Golang and PHP, exposing REST or GraphQL interfaces.
- Excellent debugging and investigative skills; you’re capable of finding the cause of an issue quickly
- Firm understanding of how the browser works: you’re capable of explaining it to a 5 year old version
- Experience with both automation and package management tools like npm, Webpack, Jest, and continuous integration and delivery.
- Deep knowledge of Git
- You enjoy hacking things together to create a proof of concept, but you’re very critical of the code you push to production
- Bonus: TypeScript, CSS-in-JS, Functional Programming.
Psst … some added perks
- Top-notch work equipment (including Bose headphones!)
- Free lunch and healthy snacks, every day. Yup, you read that right!
- Friday after-work drinks at the office
- MessageBird swag to keep you well-dressed
- Weekly kickboxing, pilates and boot camp sessions on our rooftop
- Company and team outings (from diners and paintball to gaming and movie nights — and everything in between)
- A swanky new, spacious office with a ping pong table and gaming systems galore
- A team of (fast-)forward-thinking, talented and fun colleagues from more than 50 countries!
If you think you’re a match for this role and can bring some great skills to the MessageBird team, please apply! We’re excited to get to know you.