Acuity Insights is an EdTech product and research company in a growth position.
We have a clear vision and plan for the future and have established product-market fit, and we are on a path to expanding into new vertical markets.
We seek an intermediate-level Product Designer to join our team and put the power of research and data into the hands of people making decisions in Higher Education, helping their programs graduate more exceptional doctors, nurses, teachers, engineers, future business leaders and other professionals who bring social, emotional and cultural competency into their work.
The opportunity is best suited to an empathetic, outcome-oriented Product Designer with a user-centred design approach who cares deeply about building accessible products and inclusive design systems, collaborating to evolve product design processes, and is ready to lead user experience for a product line.
Opportunity & Impact
By joining Acuity Insights, you will contribute to our mission to create a world served by exceptional professionals.
As a Product Designer and core member of our small and agile Product Design team, that means you get to use design thinking and empathy to help solve complex problems for our customers, like the Dean who needs to see and understand how their program is performing in real-time or the Admissions Team Administrator who wants to be confident they are admitting suitable applicants.
This intermediate-level role is an opportunity to own and evolve the UX for a product line and make impactful design decisions that create more useful and valuable products for customers.
It’s a chance to be an active partner in product discovery and participant in an outcome-focused process, collaborating closely with Product Managers on value and viability, Developers on feasibility and efficiency, and other members of an empowered product team.
Surrounded by a team and a leader that wants you to succeed in your role and progress in your Product Design career, you’ll conduct user research to identify & frame problems, form hypotheses, propose and test solutions with prototyping, validate assumptions through user testing, gather feedback and make data-informed iterative design improvements to support customer goals and measure if the problem is solved based on predefined success criteria.
Being part of the Product Design team also means you get to participate in team rituals to build social connection like watercooler drop-ins, help foster feedback culture with daily sharing, participate in weekly syncs and monthly retros to track progress and keep us aligned, and monthly, quarterly and annual planning to inform our direction. With members from other functional teams like Research, Product Management and Software Development, you get to bring your user experience and customer empathy lens on overall Product goals, providing insight that can inform our company’s product strategy.
As a Product Designer at Acuity Insights, you’ll participate in conducting user interviews and gathering feedback directly from our customers, informing product discovery and design iteration. Your work here will help solve business problems like how we incorporate product-led principles to optimize for retention of customers, speed up client onboarding and scale our ability to cross-sell and help transform our existing products to support new vertical markets, like Business Education and Engineering Schools, and be a champion of diversity and inclusion in design, and will be intentional about building accessible products that are usable by everyone, regardless of their background or physical and cognitive abilities.
The Product Designer position is an individual contributor role that reports to , Manager of Product Design. We welcome applicants across Canada.
To thrive in the role, you:
- Come with 2+ years of professional experience as a Product Designer working on SaaS products or web applications.
- Have participated in user research and user insights to form hypotheses that guided design processes and decisions, built prototypes, conducted usability testing, and created user flows, wireframes, and high-fidelity mockups.
- Know from experience what it’s like to be part of an empowered product team in an agile environment.
- Have leveraged and contributed to a design system, understood its technical constraints, and formed a point of view on what works and what doesn’t.
- Advocate for diversity and inclusion in design, intentional about building accessible products usable by everyone, regardless of background or physical and cognitive abilities.
- Bring ideas for how we become more data-driven in product design so we can measure the impact of our work and get better at tracking our improvements.
- Are feedback-driven and value outside perspectives and opinions about your work, seeking feedback early and often.
- Comfortably use modern design tools like Figma for wireframing, prototyping, developing design systems and high fidelity design, Miro for collaborating and facilitating conversation, thinking through problems and recording your thoughts and Maze for user testing.
To thrive at Acuity Insights, you are:
- Caring toward people. You show up, take time to listen and understand, encourage and support, and don’t shy away from providing feedback and mentoring and teaching others to help them grow.
- Curious by nature and open to possibilities. You like to explore, ask questions, listen, experiment, and learn.
- Driven to problem-solve independently and with collaborators, and seek to continuously improve your skills, methods, and practices.
- Adaptable with a preference for fluid work environments where you get to build & take ownership, make visible impact & positively influence change.
- At your best when you have the autonomy to manage your work, time and priorities, and know when to ask for help and invite collaborators.
- Self-aware, with a solid understanding of what you're strong at and what you can improve over time.
- Motivated by meaningful work and creating social impact.
The Selection Process
You might be one of many interested in this opportunity. Whether you apply or come to us as a referral, we believe in a fair process and giving you equal consideration for an interview.
Interview selections are based on alignment with our mission and values and how closely skills and professional experiences match our business needs.
The Interview Process
Our interview process is designed to be a two-way discovery: we’ll have questions to help us get to know you as a human, and further assess for mission, values, skills and experience alignment. Bring questions you want answers to, too!
Here are the general steps you can expect:
- Review & Selection. A human - not an AI - reviews your resume and assesses your experience and application responses for alignment with hiring criteria.
- Intro Conversation. If selected, we invite you to share the story behind your resume and professional interests and learn more about the role, team, company and compensation. (45-60 minute phone call)
- Meet The Manager. Have an in-depth conversation about relevant experiences and the day-to-day on the team with your potential future manager. (30-60 minute video call)
- Meet the Team. Learn about the day-to-day in the role and life at Acuity Insights. Before the interview, we may ask you to complete a take-home assignment that mirrors some aspects of the role and present your work to the team. (2.5 - 3 hour video call)
- Wait For a Decision. The Hiring Manager consolidates and evaluates feedback from the people you meet to make a hiring decision. (2-4 days)
- Receive an Offer / Reference Check. If it’s determined you are a good match for the role, team, and company, we invite you to an offer conversation. The offer is contingent upon the completion of a reference check.
- Thoughtful Compensation. A salary rooted in internal pay equity and that aligns with our business financials.
- Investment In Your Growth. An annual budget of $3,000 for your professional and personal development.
- Employee Stock Options. Options granted on your start date and vests 25% per year, so you can participate in and benefit from the growth you contribute to.
- GRSP Matching Program. Save towards your financial future through our Group Registered Savings Plan with . We match your contributions up to 2% of your salary.
- Access to Health Coverage from Day 1. Enroll yourself (and any dependents) in our comprehensive health, dental, and life benefits plan through .
- Flexible & Remote Work. Work from where you want within Canada, have autonomy with working hours so you can optimize your schedule for work-life balance.
- Self-Directed Vacation. Rooted in trust, our approach lets you guide your own vacation time to fit your unique needs and circumstances.
- Collective Time Off. Join the team in turning off work together on Acuity Days and for two weeks at the end of the year.
- Sick Time, Bereavement Leave & Personal Days. Take the time off you need when you have a medical or family emergency, experience the loss of a loved one, or need to nurture your mental health and well-being.
- Parental Leave. Spend time with the newest addition to your family, whether you are a birthing parent, non-birthing parent, or growing your family through surrogacy or adoption.
- Holistic Wellness Support. Personalized support for your physical, mental, social, financial, and nutritional well-being needs through a membership with .