Ethyca is a high-growth Series A remote startup on a mission to make Trust, Respect and Privacy a default feature of every tech stack. To accomplish this, we created the Fides open source language for data privacy and its related suite of free developer tools to enforce privacy policies as code, automate users’ right to access and erase their data, and much more. We believe software engineers are uniquely equipped to solve modern privacy challenges, but only if we work together on shared standards and best practice tools - come join our team and help make this a reality!
As Ethyca's inaugural UX designer, you’ll be responsible for designing our developer experiences from the initial mockups all the way through the front-end framework, and consulting on implementation. As a member of the product team, you’ll help to distill product requirements into low- or high-fidelity wireframes and facilitate a seamless transition to implementation with the engineering team. Your super power is understanding complex engineering concepts and translating them into a user experience for non-technical users across any enterprise vertical: lawyers, product managers, and business operations resources. This is not an entry-level role, as you will need to understand human-to-computer interaction for a new product that is unlike any that current exist today.
What you will do
- Champion UX best practices to ensure we’re all making informed design decisions together.
- Work with product and engineering team to craft achievable design solutions using your experience (or dribbble and codepen search skills!) that can be implemented quickly and will lead to immediate value for the user community.
- Build prototypes, wireframes and high-fidelity mockups using design tools like Invision, Figma and Sketch to workshop and develop on requirements.
- Build prototypes or bootstrap components using React or Angular to help convey an idea to other engineers and stakeholders.
- Analyze KPIs to identify underlying trends, develop hypotheses, test and evaluate new iterations of design systems and UX.
- Occasionally, work with the product team to perform UX research studies, help develop product roadmap, and soundboard product marketing ideas.
Who you are
- A former or current engineer, or just an engineer at-heart. You have at least 3 years of experience implementing front-end web technologies (oo js, react, angular etc) and against web standards including html5 and css3.
- A skilled designer and eager to learn. You have at least 4 years experience designing and building product experiences for end-users and have shipped design for a product used by a significant user base. You have a have a strong understanding of user-centered design and product thinking when making design decisions, and you back that understanding with compelling design solutions. You are able to quickly build up an understanding of all experiences and touch points that go into delivering value to our customers.
- An empathetic interaction designer. You craft high quality, end to end experiences. You build straightforward user flows, information architecture, and utilize the tenants of strong interaction design in your work. You leverage design systems for consistency and pay attention to the details of each screen. You work with engineers to ship experiences that are usable and aesthetically pleasing.
- Firm believer in user-centered design thinking. At Ethyca, our users are lawyers, business operations, and engineers; your being an engineer and bridging compliance/privacy needs with design for a diversity of user types is instrumental to the success of the product. You enjoy learning from customers and team members, and you’re comfortable participating in research regularly to test, clarify or validate assumptions. You know how to measure the results of your work and understand its downstream effects on users and compliance rqeuirements.
- A skilled written communicator. You are comfortable writing some in-product copy and light technical education materials. You believe in the power of succinct, efficient copy for the product as a part of the user experience. Your excellent communication style (verbally and written) to internal product, engineering and design teams should bring clarity and direction to conversations.
- We are hiring US-based candidates for this remote role with a preference toward candidates in the NYC area as the role will require East coast working hours.
- Competitive cash + equity compensation
- 100% medical and dental insurance coverage
- Flexible office hours & vacation policy
- Parental leave