MoveOn is a people-powered force for progress. We wield independent political power by bringing millions together to take action to create a country with a place of honor and dignity for everyone—where all are welcome, we take care of one another, and where everyone is set up to thrive.
For more than a generation, MoveOn has been a bulwark against the radical right and has channeled millions of voices to end wars, protect democracy, and advance justice for all. We've built political power for progressive change through mobilizing the left to Democrats so that we can advance our vision of an America for all.
MoveOn is the largest multi-issue digital first political campaigning organization in the country. We drive rapid-response campaigns at scale on a multitude of key issues at high-impact moments while building sustainable campaigns that resonate and grow over time. Whether its democracy, health care, foreign policy, economic justice, immigration or otherwise, MoveOn provides our members with timely ways to take action for change.
The UX Designer plays a key role in supporting campaigns and member growth through creating excellent user experience and design across digital tools and member-facing products. As part of the Product team, the UX Designer collaborates with cross functional teams to research, ideate, create, test, and implement design solutions that will uplift MoveOn’s values and mobilize millions members and volunteer leaders, while providing a positive user experience through intuitive interfaces and user flows.
- Support the Lead Designer in executing MoveOn’s design vision and roadmap.
- Manage small- to medium-sized projects while actively prioritizing workflow based on organizational and Product team strategic priorities.
- Be a consistent advocate for customer-centric choices for all products across MoveOn by uplifting design thinking approaches and promoting tools to improve accessibility, drive organic reach, and promote engagement.
- As part of the Product team, conceptualize thoughtful, original design ideas that incorporate MoveOn member feedback and improve digital experiences on moveon.org web properties.
- Use shared language and structured processes to collaborate with engineers, data analysts, project managers, and fellow designers from research to execution; translate complex, cross-team design requests into clear tasks and decisions needed.
- Focus on user experience and usability of products; utilizing prototypes and user flow optimization as needed.
- Create Wordpress and other design templates for common use cases
- Create and implement design changes for A/B testing on digital tools and email
- Develop design assets optimized for a wide range of devices and interfaces consistent with MoveOn’s branding and component library
- Assist in usability studies for prototypes, as-needed
- Experience and proficiency in graphic and ux design in a professional environment
- Proficiency in information architecture and experience with design and wireframing tools, including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Figma and more.
- Ability to incorporate diverse and sometimes conflicting feedback into the design cycle and explain the purpose behind design decisions
- Knowledge of best practices and trends in design, particularly for mobile, accessibility, and email
- Familiarity with the UX research process
- Ability to creatively solve problems in a rapid response environment.
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS and PHP and JS to build the front end of your designs while working with a team of software engineers in a variety of environments.
- Experience or interest in conversion rate optimization
- QA Experience including user acceptance, compatibility, and accessibility testing
- Experience or interest in learning MoveOn’s suite of web tools, including WordPress, ActionKit, and Optimizely
- Experience with WordPress plugins such as Elementor and GA is a plus
- Self-directed with effective time management skills and proven ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Strong attention to detail, from design to technical implementation
- Ability to be effective in an organization whose team members all work remotely
Reports to: Director of Product
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
Classification, Salary and Benefits: At MoveOn, we commit to equity in our compensation philosophy and practices. We are committed to equal pay for equal work. To counter systemic compensation issues in this country and pay inequality, we have a nonnegotiable compensation practice. We utilize benchmarking and peer organization data to ensure we provide competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits. The annual salary for this position is $88,000. In addition to the base salary, we offer a monthly home office subsidy. We also offer an internet and phone subsidy of $2,100 annually and a health and wellness subsidy of $900 annually. All of these cash benefits are added to your bimonthly paycheck. We offer strong medical, dental, and vision benefits, which are free to employees and children of employees (spouses or domestic partners can be added at a subsidized rate). We offer employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work; paid family medical leave; and 8 staff holidays and 6 floating holidays. We contribute 5% to your 401(k) after six months of employment. We also offer a $1000 in professional development budget each year for each staff member.