Senior Back End Software Developer
With NEC Digital, you choose the path of no compromise. We provide industry leading expertise across the full scope of a project, giving our customers the confidence and security they need to achieve great outcomes for your users.
A partnership of best-in-class software delivery, with pioneering user-centred design services. We offer full end-to-end digital transformation expertise to the very highest standards from discovery to development and beyond, at a scale and quality unique in the market.
And everything we do is in line with our mission, to create user centred products and services that are efficient, inclusive and sustainable.
What you will be doing:
As a Senior Backend Software Developer, you will be part of a very competent team that works on mission - critical applications contributing in all phases of the development process. You will be responsible for Backend application development, supporting business objectives while providing expertise in the full software development lifecycle, from concept and design, to testing.
- A Senior Backend Software Engineer is expected to spend the majority of their time hands-on in the production of software for NECSWS products.
- Discuss, establish, maintain, and improve the backend solution, including good software design, framework selections and direction of the codebase.
- Solve technical problems with little supervision.
- Provide engineering options, with unbiased pros and cons to meet problems shared by the business.
- Prepare and produce releases of software components.
- Provide support for production systems.
- Develop and improve the confirmation testing strategies (unit test, integration testing) using suitable front end testing libraries.
- Support continuous improvement by investigating alternatives and technologies and presenting these for architectural review.
- Support and coach junior developers.
- Adopt Agile methodologies such as Kanban and Scrum.
- Experience of at least one of the following public cloud technologies: Amazon Web Service (AWS), Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- RabbitMQ, Kafka.
- Using a microservices and serverless architecture.
- Horizontally scalable, distributed, microservices architectures.
- NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch.
- SQL databases such PostgreSQL
- Caching technologies, such as Hazelcast.
Personal/Team Growth and Development
- Develop new skills by working with other members of the team.
- Work with the Team Lead and Manager to identify training goals.
- Lead and partake in technical discussions within the team.
- Actively identify and complete opportunities for self-training and external training.
- Drive the team’s process of continual improvement.
Personal attributes that will help you
- Problem solving - recognition of problems and recasting difficult-to-solve problems in order to find unique and innovative solutions.
- Inquisitiveness - digging into problems and solutions to understand the underlying technology.
- Autonomy - ability to work on a task and solve problems independently.
- Motivation - sets personal challenges and constantly looking to stretch themselves.
- Integrity - honest and transparent in dealing, open to voice and accept criticism, is trustworthy and builds credibility through actions.
- Detail focussed - pays attention to the details and can make a conscious effort to understand causes instead of just the effects.
- Big picture aware - understands the scope and impact of a problem or solution.
Who Are You?
An experienced Software Developer with expert hands-on knowledge and the ability to lead by example, offer solutions and contribute to an expanding team.
In particular, we are looking for:
- BSc/MSc in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of full-time professional experience in designing and developing applications using the Java/Spring Boot ecosystem.
- Object Oriented Analysis and Design.
- Experience with popular Java frameworks and technologies such as Spring Framework, JPA/Hibernate.
- Experience with asynchronous messaging technologies.
- Experience designing and developing HTTP APIs.
- Excellent knowledge of SQL.
- Working knowledge of Maven, Git and CI/CD principles
We pride ourselves in offering an excellent benefits package, including an above average pension scheme. When you join the team at NEC Software Solutions, you are provided with the following:
- Private Medical Cover funded by NEC for Employees (with the option to add family members at an additional cost)
- 25 days paid holiday with the option to buy/sell
- 4 x basic salary life assurance cover funded by NEC (with the option to increase cover at an additional cost)
- A Group Pension Plan with fantastic employer contributions up to a maximum of 8.5%
- A selection of flexible benefits to suit your individual needs
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate a pre-existing right to work and travel within the UK. Documentary evidence will be required.