Senior Front End Engineer
Universal Tennis is a Silicon Valley based tech and sports high growth company that is both remote-friendly and people-driven. We are on a mission to revolutionize tennis and pickleball through technology and data. Universal Tennis’s UTR Rating is the gold standard and the world’s most accurate singles and doubles tennis rating system. Our vision is to unify tennis and pickleball for everyone by bringing cutting edge analytics and community building technology to all players worldwide, regardless of level.
We are backed by impressive investors in sports, technology and media including Amazon, Roger Federer’s Team8, Novak Djokovic, Endeavor/IMG, Tennis Channel, Tennis Australia and Larry Ellison
Universal Tennis wants to work with people who are team-oriented, willing to roll up your sleeves and always maintain a high bar for excellence.
Universal Tennis is building innovative, cutting-edge technology products and services to help empower and enhance every part of the tennis ecosystem (players, coaches, clubs, organizers, federations, etc.). Here are some of the exciting initiatives on our product roadmap:
- Expanding UTR to millions of competitive and recreational players around the globe
- Collecting match results from hundreds of different sources with different data formats
- Enabling any player or organization to post match results and track their performance
- Developing marketplace applications to search, find and connect with players, coaches, and events
- Enhancing our event and tournament management platform for clubs and organizers
The UTR development team is led by folks who have leveraged their backgrounds in computer science, math and engineering to build and scale multiple technology companies. We strongly believe that empowered people are the key to building a great company, and our development process focuses on iteratively improving our product as well as ourselves as individuals and as a team. We are looking to add a skilled, experienced engineer who can be a core member of our team and work on every part of the stack to accelerate product development. So if you share our ambition and want to help shape the technology that will make it happen, then join our team!
What you Will Do:
- Work alongside a talented team of frontend, backend, and mobile engineers to bring new experiences to life. Examples include leagues, group messaging, player monetization, gamification, rewards and more
- Design front-end architecture with architectural guidelines in mind (secure, high-performing, scalable, flexible, simple)
- Use experimentation and iterative development to measure impact and find product market fit for new features.
- Collaborate with design and product management to establish development plans and timelines and implement scalable, clean user experiences
- Architect, build and own end-to-end experience using custom, reusable UI components
- Write client-side code for web-based applications, create fast, easy-to-use, high volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly
- Suggest continuous improvements in user interface, software architecture or new technologies.
What you Need to be Successful:
- 5-8+ years of developing front-end web applications
- Expertise in caching, minification, bundling techniques (Webpack) to improve front end performance.
- Experience with user interface design
- Proficiency with Redux
- Experience building mobile first/responsive UI/UX using HTML5, CSS3 and frameworks like Bootstrap, CSS Pre/Post processors, and build tools (Babel, Webpack, etc)
- Experience optimizing Core Web Vitals
- Track record of focusing on software performance, scalability, and security
- Experience with Scrum, Kanban and other agile methodologies
- Experience with and excited about working in small teams with startup DNA
- Ability to work both collaboratively as part of a team and independently to dive deep and solve tough problems
- Propensity to seek out, accept and integrate feedback professionally
- Self-motivated, quick/continuous learner with a passion for innovation
What we Offer:
A reasonable estimate of the current base salary range is $120,000 to $155,000 plus an equity compensation package. The final base salary for this role will take into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to: skill sets, experience and training and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic location differential associated with where the position will be filled.
Universal Tennis is headquartered in Palo Alto, CA but this position is fully remote, US-based. In addition to salary and equity compensation, we offer flexible working hours and generous PTO. Our other benefits include:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Paid Time Off (Unlimited Vacation & Sick plus Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Work From Home