Blenderbox is looking for a Senior Engineer - a seasoned expert that enjoys a healthy challenge. We seek a new trusted teammate that shares our passion for mission-driven work and recognizes the value of quality software development practices.
A Senior Engineer at Blenderbox is responsible for development and support of various software products designed for our higher education, nonprofit and government clients.
Cross-functional collaboration is key at Blenderbox. The proper candidate will thrive working within agile, cross-functional teams and proactively contribute subject matter expertise.
This is a full-time remote position. The majority of your work will be focused on back-end engineering, configuration management, templating, deployment pipelines, code reviews, with occasional front-end engineering.
You will be working with talented people that are forward-thinking and compassionate.
We operate within a system of transparency and open communication that accelerates progress and allows for a healthy work / life balance.
- Translate functional, technical, and business requirements into efficient and scalable software designs by taking into account time constraints.
- Collaborate closely with UX / UI Designers and advise on technical feasibility of proposed design approaches.
- Compose and maintain detailed technical specifications.
- Solve technical challenges using available open source modules / plug-ins and follow modern best practices.
- Write secure, performant, maintainable and testable code for client and internal projects.
- Proactively raise and help resolve issues throughout the software product lifecycle.
- Contribute technical expertise in client meetings and communications.
- Proactively and clearly communicate technical risks and tradeoffs to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Prior experience in a digital agency environment.
- 4+ years experience with OOP PHP / Symphony / LAMP-stack applications.
- 2+ years of production experience with enterprise scale Drupal 8/9.
- Production experience with WordPress.
- Experience with REST, APIs, JSON.
- Experience with content migrations.
- Experience with Lucene-based search (e.g. SOLR, ElasticSearch).
- Experience configuring and maintaining CI/CD pipelines and writing automated tests.
- Experience with Caching technologies (CDN, Redis, Varnish, MemCache).
- Experience using cloud computing services (AWS, Google, Azure, etc.)
- Working knowledge of software security and performance optimization principles.
- Good understanding of software architecture patterns and concepts.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to accurately estimate the scope of work.
- Proactive and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Solid problem solving, organizational and time management skills.
- US Citizen or authorized to work in the US.
Nice to have:
- Experience in other content management systems / frameworks is a plus.
- Experience with decoupled architectures.
- Experience with React and/or NodeJS
- Experience with modern static site generators.
- Experience with Docker.
- Active in open source software communities.
- Technical certifications.
$90-125k commensurate with experience
What we offer:
- Health Care, Dental, Vision, FSA, HSA options
- 401(k) plan matching
- 17 days of PTO, 11 Holidays, 5 Wellness Days
- Company-provided laptop
- Career growth and professional development opportunities
- 100% virtual work environment - all team members are remote
Blenderbox is a values-based virtual agency with subject matter experts distributed around the United States with headquarters in New York City. We have over 20 years of experience building websites and applications for mission-driven organizations, primarily for nonprofit, educational, and governmental organizations.
Our culture is one of inclusion, transparency and pride. Our team works cross-functionally and collaboratively on a diversity of projects that are reflective of our shared core values.