Full Stack Software Engineer
Have you ever considered the impact of human decision-making on the climate crisis? It seems obvious, but it's crucial. Improved human decision-making can create immediate and significant reductions in the transport industry’s fuel usage; and that's precisely the mission that Signol is on.
Signol is a behavioural science software start-up at the beginning of its scaling journey, making this an incredibly exciting time to join us on our mission. Signol is working with major shipping and aviation customers to deliver real and significant savings immediately; our first shipping project saved 13,900 MT CO2 in 4 months, and in aviation we recently saved Virgin Atlantic 3,000 MT CO2 in 6 months. Signol is delivering real benefit today, and we are looking for passionate and motivated individuals to help us scale our impact.
At Signol, you’ll be working with a fantastic team; world-leading behavioural and data scientists, software developers, sales and operations leads. Every one of us is deeply committed to the climate crisis and building a company that is responsible, responsive, puts carbon reduction at its core and reflects its values with integrity.
The way we present information to our users IS our product. You will play a key role in ensuring that the greatest value possible is added to that data between collection and presentation.
- You will be designing, building and maintaining complex data pipelines, machine learning implementations and RESTful APIs across complex architecture including microservice and serverless environments
- You will have strong positive feelings around test driven development and documentation as well as automated CI/CD processes
- You will be a core voice within the product team and wider business collaborating with a diverse range of people such as economists, behavioral scientists, investors, airline captains, and environmental experts. We promise an engaging working environment with a global outlook.
Our home is currently located in Central London, although remote candidates from all over the UK and Europe will be considered. The only thing we ask is that you are able to travel to London for a few days each month.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Design, build, and maintain multiple pieces of the product, including our customer-facing web app, backend systems, databases, microservices, third-party APIs, and servers in the cloud.
- Hold strong opinions about the the value of unit, integration, and end-to-end test
- And documenting the systems you build and maintain.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you encounter.
- Automate data collection (ETL) pipelines.
- Establish CI/CD pipelines for projects as they move from development to production.
- Perform deep monitoring/debugging and troubleshoot critical issues.
- Refactor applications to eliminate tech debt
- Be an active member of the product team, contributing to discussions in and out of your core field
You are a strong match for this role if you possess the following skills, competencies, and experience:
- 4+ years experience in software engineering and web development
- TypeScript, NodeJS, and ES6
- SQL (queries, CRUD ops, data modeling)
- AWS, GCP, Azure, or similar cloud computing platforms (we use AWS)
- Agile methodologies
- Remote work experience
- Self-driven; strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; excellent collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
- You pay strong attention to detail.
- You are personable, have excellent communication skills and can clearly articulate your ideas, knowledge, and suggestions.
- You are a strong team player who can collaborate effectively with different stakeholders.
- You have a passion for human behaviour, sustainability and climate change.
- You believe in uncommon decency
- You do the basics well, aren’t afraid to challenge or be challenged and have the grit and tenacity to follow through.
- Advanced English level
Desired qualities include:
- Experience using ReactJS and CSS libraries (we use TailwindCSS)
- Knowledge of web application security, REST APIs, and microservices communication
- Experience with static site generators and building serverless applications
- Deep AWS knowledge (proficiency in S3, EC2, RDS, SNS/SQS, Lambda, API Gateway, CloudFormation, CodePipeline, etc.)
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, DynamoDB, or similar
- Familiarity with Docker, and tools for Infra as Code (we use Serverless Framework)
- Comfortable working with some codebase written in Java, using Spring Framework. (there is always a legacy service to maintain until we migrate to a better tech stack)
Nice to Have
- Strong python abilities, processing data using Pandas and NumPy
- Experience integrating and deploying ML models into production
- Familiarity with AWS SageMaker ML
What we offer:
- £50,000 to £55,000 annually (depending on experience)
- 25 days annual leave, Birthday day off, Christmas leave + 8 bank holidays
- Private health insurance
- Vested share options scheme for all employees following a probationary period
- Flexible / hybrid working: Option to choose between our central London office or remote working