Lead UX Designer
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. The Foundation operates one of the world’s top five websites and has global reach and impact. Technology and innovation are critical in our quest to support every human in freely sharing knowledge.
The Product Design and Strategy Group at Wikimedia is looking for a Lead UX Designer with an expert understanding of user experience and product development processes to work within one of our multi-disciplinary product teams. You will lead all aspects of the user experience, partnering with the other product leads to conceive and execute upon the product strategy for your product team.
You will be responsible for
- Reducing complexity to create simple, delightful experiences for our users.
- Creating prototypes and running experiments to iteratively test your hypotheses.
- Using and evolving our design system and guidelines, to create new features from ideas on paper to implementation.
- Applying accessibility standards and guidelines to your designs.
- Collaborating with product managers and engineers to create product plans and maintain product design processes.
- Distilling complex concepts into easy to understand talking points to engage with our readers and communities throughout the design process.
Skills and experience
The right person is better than the right set of experiences. These are the traits we’ve identified that make great additions to our team so far.
- Can craft compelling stories that persuade team members and stakeholders to adopt their ideas.
- Experience mentoring other designers on design whilst welcoming feedback from others.
- Solid experience using evaluative and generative research methods, to build a deeper understanding of audience behaviors.
- Has a strong creative vision and the ability to switch easily from blue sky ideation to tactical thinking.
- Shares their work and ideas beyond their own team and enjoys engaging with the global design community.
- 8+ years of experience contributing on design teams
- Bachelor's degree and/or Masters degree, or equivalent in related work experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have
- Background in content consumption, publishing, education, or news
- Experience acting as a researcher, both in-person and with remote participants
- Have familiarity with Free Knowledge and/or Open Source communities
- Speak more than one of the nearly 300 languages of the users you’ll be designing for